2018 Macy Faculty Scholars Program for Educational Innovators in Medicine and Nursing
Deadline: February 14, 2018
Applications are now invited for the eighth class of Macy Faculty Scholars. The Macy Faculty Scholars Program is designed to identify and nurture the careers of promising educational innovators in medicine and nursing. With support from the Macy Foundation, scholars will implement new educational innovations at their home institutions and participate in career development activities that prepare them for leadership roles.
The Macy Faculty Scholars Program – the first of its kind – launched in December 2010. The program is designed to identify and nurture the careers of promising educational innovators in medicine and nursing.
Under the program, the Foundation will select up to five faculty leaders each year. Each Scholar will receive salary support up to $100,000 per year over two years. Scholars must be nominated by the Dean of their institutions, who must commit to protecting at least 50 percent of the Scholars’ time to pursue education reform projects at their institution. Each school may nominate only one candidate each year, and will be expected to provide a senior faculty member to mentor the Scholar. Furthermore, a nursing or medical school with a first year Macy Faculty Scholar is precluded from nominating a candidate during this year.
As part of this career development program, the Foundation will support an educational change project in each Scholar’s institution, develop a national network for the Scholars, and provide career advice from a National Advisory Committee.
Chosen scholars will receive:
- Salary support of up to $100,000 per year for two years
- At least 50 percent protected time for two years to pursue educational projects
- Active mentorship by a senior faculty member at their institution
- Access to the program’s National Advisory Committee
- Opportunities to participate in the Macy Faculty Scholars alumni network and attend the Annual Macy Faculty Scholars Meeting
The Foundation is looking for nursing and medical school faculty who are committed to careers in health professional education, have served for more than five years on the faculty of the sponsoring school, are innovators, and have shown promise as future leaders.
Each candidate must:
- Be a doctorally-prepared faculty member in good standing at the sponsoring school.
- Have served for five or more years as a faculty member, ideally at the sponsoring school.
- Have an identified faculty mentor who will provide advice on the candidate’s project and career development.
- Have an educational innovation project with the appropriate institutional support.
- Have an institutional commitment for the protection of at least 50% of the applicant’s time.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or its territories.
Additionally, each candidate must be nominated by the dean of their nursing or medical school. There can be no more than one nominee per nursing or medical school, and a nursing or medical school with a first year Macy Faculty Scholars is precluded from nominating a candidate during this year.
All applications must be completed online.
For more information, visit Macy Faculty Scholars Program.