International Scholarships for Surgeons to attend the 2018 ACS NSQIP National Conference in Florida, USA
Deadline: February 15, 2018
Are you a surgeon from outside the U.S. or Canada interested in surgical quality improvement? Apply for the American College of Surgeons’s international NSQIP scholarships. The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP®) and the International Relations Committee offer International ACS NSQIP Scholarships for two surgeons from countries other than the United States or Canada who demonstrate strong interests in surgical quality improvement.
The scholarships, in the amount of $10,000 each, provide the Scholars with an opportunity to attend the 2018 ACS NSQIP National Conference July 21–24 in Orlando, FL, and meet with Program Leadership and Surgeon Champions from ACS NSQIP participating hospitals. Following the NSQIP conference, the candidate is encouraged to visit one or two hospitals reflecting the candidate’s specific clinical interests. These hospitals should also have strong quality programs.
The scholarships provide successful applicants with the privilege of participating in the ACS NSQIP National Conference. Assistance will be provided in arranging hotel accommodations in the conference city.
In order to qualify for consideration by the selection committee, all of the requirements must be fulfilled.
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent institution. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must be under 55 years of age at the time of application.
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to surgical quality improvement.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed online application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be prepared in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Applicants must provide information regarding their work setting, including their hospital and the patients they see, as well as their participation in quality improvement activities in this setting. They must also indicate their career goals, indicating how they plan to transfer their newly acquired learning to their current situation.
- Applicants must submit letters of recommendation from three of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department of their hospital or in which they hold academic appointment, or a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter is to include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the quality improvement involvement of the applicant. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the person making the recommendation.
- Applicants are required to submit a curriculum vitae of no more than 10 pages.
- The International ACS NSQIP Scholarships must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Applicants who are awarded scholarships will submit a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion of their scholarships.
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College, together with new supporting documentation.
Completed applications for the International ACS NSQIP Scholarships for the year 2018 and all of the supporting documentation must be received by the International Liaison Section prior to February 15, 2018, in order for an applicant to receive consideration by the selection committee.
Supporting materials and questions should be directed to the International Liaison at email@example.com.
For more information, visit International ACS NSQIP Scholarships.