Apply to be the U.S. Youth Observer to the United Nations 2018-2019
Deadline: April 29, 2018
Applications to be the 2018-2019 U.S. Youth Observer to the United Nations are now open. Created to elevate youth voices in the global policy dialogue, the U.S. Youth Observer to the UN is a role appointed annually by the U.S. Department of State and UN Association of the USA.
For a one-year term, an American between the ages of 18-25 is selected to engage young people in the U.S. in the work of the United Nations and international issues. As a correspondent between U.S. missions to the UN and American youth, the Youth Observer travels throughout the United States to discover the issues important to young Americans and participates at international organization meetings.
The most critical role of the Youth Observer is to engage young Americans in the work of the UN, empowering them to be active participants in dialogue on international issues and to have a global impact. The Youth Observer will travel to high schools and colleges across the nation to build a connection between the UN and young Americans.
Qualified candidates must be:
- U.S. citizens, ages 18-25
- Able to commit at least five to ten hours per week to the position, excluding travel, which will consume additional time.
- Eager to collaborate with UNA-USA and Department of State staff, staying in close communication throughout the year.
- Available to travel nationally and internationally (travel and reasonable lodging costs associated with participation as U.S. Youth Observer will be provided).
- Willing to participate in social media and in-person media events hosted by UNA-USA and the U.S. Department of State.
- Capable of quickly producing high-quality blog posts and other social media content based on her/ his experiences as the Youth Observer.
- Currently unaffiliated with the UN Foundation, UNA-USA, and Department of State as a staff member, intern, or consultant.
Do you have what it takes to be the next U.S. Youth Observer to the UN? We are looking for a dynamic and internationally-engaged young American to fill the role for the 2018-2019 year. Qualified individuals are:
- Talented writers, capable of digesting lots of information and quickly turning around blog posts to inform other youth.
- Team players, willing to work with multiple stakeholders to tell the story of the UN.
- Intellectually curious and able to have meaningful conversations with high-level individuals.
- Experienced public speakers who are enthusiastic about engaging with young Americans.
- Digitally engaged and tech-savvy, with a knack for communicating online in creative and effective ways.
- Passionate and entrepreneurial about civic engagement, youth issues, and the United Nations.
- Interested in international affairs and passionate about solving today’s most pressing problems.
Could you be the next U.S. Youth Observer to the United Nations?
Apply here by Sunday, April 29, 2018.
For more information, visit U.S. Youth Observer.