Ashoka Social Investment Accelerator Programme 2018 for Social Entrepreneurs from Africa (Fully-funded)
Deadline: April 16, 2018
Ashoka Africa is now accepting applications for the Ashoka Social Investment Accelerator 2018. The aim of the accelerator is to support social entrepreneurs to refine their business model and become investment ready. It also aims to support them to find the right hybrid corporate structure to access both investment and philanthropy efficiently.
Are you a social enterprise and are you looking to raise investments for the first time? Are you based in North, East or Southern Africa? Join the 6 months Accelerator by Ashoka Africa, designed to support social entrepreneurs!
The Social Investment Accelerator consists of 8 modules. It will start with a kick-off 2-day workshop where the first 4 modules will take place. Over the 4 months period after the workshop, the other 4 modules will run as an online mentoring program. Entrepreneurs will be assisted by 3 experienced mentors and specific assistance will be provided by experts on topics such as marketing, sales, legal, accounting, impact, geographic expansion, support on business models. The Program will end with a Public Networking Event, where entrepreneurs will be given the opportunity to pitch in front of our partners, Business Angels and Social Impact Investors.
12 Finalists will receive the following
- Finalists will participate in a two-day bootcamp in June 2018 in South Africa during which the first 4 modules of the toolkit will be addressed with all the social entrepreneurs, mentors, and experts.
- An online mentoring program will approach the other 4 modules over the 4-month period after the Bootcamp. Each session (1 month = 1 module) will include a webinar with Mark Cheng, Ashoka Europe Director and Social Impact Investor, exercises to produce some slides (4-6) on each topic and collective Q&A. You will connect on a weekly basis with your mentors, who will provide feedback and advice. The outcome at the end of the online mentoring program is to produce a 30-40 slides deck (some slides will be produced during each module): the pitch deck will serve as a helpful tool for future pitch investment opportunities.
- Join exclusive, online ‘peer’ calls, to network and exchange ideas with other shortlisted innovators and receive mentorship guidance from 3 selected professionals.
- Have access to an exclusive network of Ashoka Fellows and partners.
- Meet inspiring and innovative entrepreneurs.
- The opportunity to pitch their business case to a panel of social impact investors during the closing event in November.
- Travel costs to the boot camp and the closing pitching event will be covered for the 12 selected entrepreneurs (travel costs for one (1) team member per organisation will be covered).
The social entrepreneur/enterprise must:
- Be legally registered in its country of operations.
- Be based in South, East or North Africa.
- Be built on a viable /sustainable business model, have a market-based approach.
- Be looking to raise investment (angel, debt or equity).
- Have at least 2 years of operations and of generating revenues.
- Have the potential to scale and replicate in other settings or communities.
- Have promise of substantial social impact through programs focussed on economic development, agriculture, nutrition, healthcare, education, as well as water and sanitation.
- Have a team of minimum 5 people, with at least 2 English speaking persons who can dedicate time to the program.
Note: Quantifiable results and testimonies often help to demonstrate the potential for social impact of a project. (include)
Click here to apply.
For more information, visit Ashoka Social Investment Accelerator.