The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) is partnering with the Google News Initiative on a large-scale effort to strengthen the digital know-how of thousands of journalists across the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Participants in the program will learn the most effective ways to gather and source information, enhance trust and verification, use data for stories and apps, and embrace immersive storytelling.
The program is being offered through IJNet Arabic, an ICFJ platform that brings the latest training opportunities, tips and resources to journalists. IJNet Arabic’s strong following in the MENA region, along with its network of instructors, has made it a valuable resource for journalists who are looking to reinvent their skills. Combining IJNet Arabic’s reach and loyal audience with Google’s digital leadership, the program will:
- Identify and nurture a core group of nine digital media ambassadors in the region who will offer training on Google tools and others.
- Equip 4,000 journalists across countries in the Arab world with the latest digital tools and resources.
- Phase 1 – Virtual Training: The IJNet Arabic webinar will be led by expert ICFJ mentors and a Google trainer. It is open to all journalists in the MENA region. Participants will learn key concepts and tools in information gathering and sourcing, trust and verification, data journalism, and immersive storytelling. The webinar will take place the week of April 30.
- Phase 2 – Training of Trainers: The most promising journalists from the webinar will be invited to participate in a two-day workshop hosted by Google in Dubai, where they will gain the skills needed to become digital media ambassadors.
- Phase 3 – In-Country Training: The digital media ambassadors will lead workshops and newsroom trainings in their home countries with continued coaching from expert mentors. The top ambassadors will also conduct trainings at up to three regional media events to benefit a wider array of MENA professionals.
- Open to journalists, digital media professionals, entrepreneurs, activists and university students from all countries across MENA region.
After participants complete the webinar, they will be invited to apply for the ‘training of trainers’ session in Dubai to become a digital ambassador.
Interested candidates must complete a brief program application to apply to take part in the digital journalism webinar. Click here for the application.
For more information, visit Digital Skills Training.