US Embassy Nigeria NaijaGems Photography Contest 2018
Deadline: May 4, 2018
The US Mission Nigeria invites Nigerians to compete in the NaijaGems Photography Contest 2018. The Contest aims to raise the awareness of Nigeria’s beauty. The United States Ambassador to Nigeria, W. Stuart Symington, initiated this project to raise national pride and awareness of Nigeria’s beauty after he had visited all 36 states in Nigeria. There is much to be admired and celebrated in Nigeria.
They are giving Nigerians an opportunity to tell their positive stories in pictures. Take a picture of one of the Nigerian gems – things or places that cause every Nigerian and every person in the world who sees it to go “WOW.”
- Contest Prize(s)
- Grand Prize: Canon EOS 5D mark iv
- First Runner: Canon EOS 80D with Lens
- Second Runner up: Canon EOS Rebel T7i with Lens
- Winning photographs may be displayed on the U.S. Mission Nigeria’s website, social media properties and/or in the Embassy itself.
- Contestants must be an adult, 21 years and older on the date of entry into the contest. Contestants must be residents of Nigeria and may not be U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents;
- The individual submitting the entry will be considered the contestant and will be the only individual eligible to compete for the prize. Organizations are not eligible to compete for the prize, either as an entity, or through representation by an individual. In order to be eligible for the prize, the contestant must provide complete and accurate information;
- The following individuals are not eligible to participate in the contest: Employees, interns, directors, and officers of the Contest Sponsors, Flickr/Yahoo, Facebook, Instagram, or the U.S. Government; or any employees, interns, directors, or officers of any agencies, companies or entities involved in the administration, advertising, judging, creation, development, execution, and/or fulfillment of this contest, and the immediate family members (defined as spouse, recognized partner, parent, child, sibling, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same household of each such individual;
- Once a submission has been accepted for entry into the contest, the contestant’s name (or User ID, if the contestant wishes to remain anonymous) and country may be publicly identified at the sole discretion of the contestant.
Technical Format Requirements
- Photo submissions must be in JPG format, at least 1024×768 pixels (300 pixels per inch) and not more than 10MB. Submissions should not have any visible watermarks, signatures, or personally identifiable information.
- Retouching of Photos: The submitted photograph cannot be significantly retouched: nothing in the photograph (people, animals, scenery, objects, etc.) may be altered, removed, augmented or rearranged. Cropping is permitted, as is modest darkening or lightening of parts of the image. Photo metadata must be retained.
How to Enter
- Contestants are asked to produce high-resolution original photographs of spectacular beauty that are peculiar to a region or state; the locations should be a symbol of pride to the people and culture of that state.
- Two identical photos are to be taken; one should include a human subject who verifies the originality of the work and he/she should be tagged in the submission.
- An entry is made by uploading the photos to Flickr with a clear description (250 words max) of the location and why the object or scene is important to that community, state, or the nation as a whole.
- Upload photos to Instagram and tag the U.S. Mission Nigeria (@usinnigeria), tag the human subject in the photo and adopt the contest hashtag, #NaijaGEMs.
- Photo metadata must be visible on Flickr to qualify. Manipulated photos will be disqualified.
- Contestants are to complete an entry/sign up form after uploading the photos with the following information:
- Contestant details
- Flickr photo URLs
- Instagram ID
- Confirm the originality of the photo
- Sign a release – allowing the Embassy to post and share the photos
For more information, visit NaijaGems Photography Contest.