Deadline: July 1, 2018
Applications are open for the fourth edition of the Free Press Awards. They aim to celebrate the work of the best journalists and media professionals. Free Press Unlimited wants people to have access to reliable information they need to develop and prosper. They support journalists worldwide to make stories be told. Nowadays that is not always an easy task. With these awards they want to honour those media professionals who continue no matter what.
The Free Press Awards will be conferred at Free Press Live on 2 November 2018 and will recognise exceptional work in the categories Newcomer of the Year and Most Resilient Journalist.
Free Press Unlimited supports journalists worldwide on a daily basis. They will also be grasping the Free Press Live event as an opportunity to draw attention to the risks journalists take. They believe that journalists should report the news and not be the news. During this event they share stories of journalists who continue no matter what.
In addition they hope to encourage journalists who have new ideas to ensure stories will always be told. They want to honour journalists who risk everything to bring us the news, media pioneers who pave the way for equality and justice and those who persevere under the most difficult circumstances.
- Newcomer of the Year and
- Most Resilient Journalist
- The winner in the category ‘Newcomer of the Year’ will receive a media scholarship by choice.
- The winner in the category ‘Most Resilient Journalist’ will receive a cash prize of €15,000.
- Winners in both categories receive an expenses-paid visit to the awards ceremony on 2 November in The Hague, where the prices will be conferred in person.
- Open to journalists working in print, broadcast or online media, in any country around the world.
- Journalists should have a strong commitment with press freedom and independent information.
- There are no geographical limitations on eligibility for the prize – entries from any country or region will be considered.
You are free to nominate anyone in the broader field of journalism – from professional reporters, editors, photojournalists, technologists and media professionals to citizen journalists, cartoonists or bloggers.
Criteria for Newcomer of the Year
- The category Newcomer of the Year in Journalism recognises talented new journalists who have put in a strong performance when it comes to reporting the news.
- The nominees all demonstrate exceptional commitment to press freedom and independent coverage and use innovative methods to disseminate this information.
- Nominees in the category Newcomer of the Year show extraordinary dedication to journalism as a means to hold those in power accountable and to serve as a watchdog in the public interest. They manage to share stories that would otherwise be left untold.
Criteria for Most Resilient Journalist
- The Free Press Award in the category Most Resilient Journalist is presented to a journalist who has demonstrated extraordinary strength of character, courage and perseverance in reporting the news.
- Nominees of the Most Resilient Journalist have often faced imprisonment, violence and censorship for doing their job.
- They have shown a strong commitment to press freedom and independent information, and are generally highly-regarded journalists who are willing to risk their life or their freedom in order to keep the public informed.
- They produce their work in the face of government oppression, political pressure, intimidation, physical violence and other obstacles.
- The Most Resilient Journalist Award honours journalists who risk everything to bring us the news, media pioneers who pave the way for equality and justice and those who persevere under the most difficult circumstances.
Nominations for the awards will be judged by an independent panel of international experts.
For more information, visit Free Press Awards.