Deadline: June 1, 2018
Applications are open for the International Development Law Organisation (IDLO) Legal Internship Program 2018. The IDLO internship program is designed to provide a mutually beneficial relationship between IDLO and interns. The program offers Interns an exceptional learning experience in an international organization and increases their awareness and knowledge of legal issues in the development arena.
Internships also benefit IDLO by allowing participants to contribute their skills and competencies to the realization of IDLO’s strategic goals and mission. Interns are fully involved in the work program of the Unit or Department that has selected them to carry out assignments relevant to their studies and experiences under the supervision of IDLO staff.
The normal duration of an internship is for three to a maximum of six months. Interns generally are hosted for an initial three months and their tenure can be extended for an additional three months if the host department or unit sees that there is mutual value for both the Intern and IDLO. The level of effort can be variable but in order for an internship to be mutually beneficially to both IDLO and the Intern, all internships must be for a minimum twenty (20) hours per week.
Under the direct supervision of the General Counsel and OGC lawyers, the legal intern will be asked to support the Office with the following duties:
- Provide research assistance on questions of domestic and international law including interpretation of IDLO’s Privileges and Immunities, Human Resources matters, Internal Governance and other areas relating to the functions, structure, and activities of IDLO;
- Assist in drafting or revising organizational governance documents, reports, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Assist in drafting, reviewing, and/or amending contracts for goods and services, Memoranda of Understanding, and other agreements relating to IDLO programs and activities;
- Assist in the interpretation and application of IDLO’s staff rules and regulations, the Code of Conduct, and other IDLO regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Assist in monitoring compliance with IDLO’s regulations, policies, and procedures, Organization-wide;
- Fulfil any administrative and/or substantive requirements of the intern’s educational institution and/or fellowship program;
- Perform any other similar duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Interns receive a monthly stipend of €600. Internships are offered for 3 months and are potentially renewable at IDLO’s discretion up to a maximum of 6 months.
- Applicants should have graduate or undergraduate level degree in law or current enrollment in graduate level legal studies;
- Should have an experience working in a legal capacity in an organization or law firm is highly desirable;
- Have experience working in an international environment is highly desirable;
- Have an experience with and/or understanding of international law, contract law, and/or international organizations is desirable;
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required. Any additional language proficiency, particularly in French or Spanish, would be an advantage;
- Be a good team player, highly motivated, strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, flexible mind, comfortable working in multi-cultural settings;
- Demonstrated ability to work proactively and independently, including as part of a small team; and
- Ability to produce well drafted and analysed work product in a timely manner, exercise sound judgment, and manage and prioritize multiple assignments;
- Full-time placements (5 days a week) are strongly preferred. Applicants available for less than 3 days a week will not be considered.
All interested applicants are encouraged to submit a resume, cover letter, and list of references. In the cover letter, applicants should clearly indicate the time period(s) for which they are applying. Applicants may also, optionally, provide academic transcripts or letters of recommendation.
For more information, visit IDLO Internship Program.