Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB) Kumvana Fellowship 2019 for Africans (Fully-funded to Canada)
Deadline: July 11, 2018
Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB) invites applications for the EWB Kumvana Fellowship 2019. The EWB’s Kumvana Fellowship brings together African social entrepreneurs and changemakers for a transformative personal and professional development experience.
The Kumvana program consists of an 8-week online learning course (approximately 3 hours per week), an African retreat, and a 1-month intensive Canadian experience. During the Fellows’ time in Canada, they will attend the EWB National Conference and receive specifically tailored training programs, a 3-day leadership development course, and participate in 2 weeks of organisational placements to learn from relevant professional networks. Participants will have the opportunity for an immersive cultural experience, and spend time living with Canadian host families.
The Kumvana Program gives to its Fellows an opportunity to network and foster collaborations with Canadian professionals and extraordinary leaders from other African countries. Additionally, these changemakers will receive new skills, ideas, contacts, motivation and the potential to lead that will help guide their actions toward greater, sector-wide impact.
Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB) is a fast-growing Canadian non-profit organization that invests in people and ideas to create a world free from poverty and inequality. Bolstered by our network of 40 chapters and 1300 members, EWB provides seed funding, talent and mentorship to social enterprises throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
As a Kumvana Fellow, you will:
- Dedicate about 3 hours/week to an online learning course
- Participate in a weekend African retreat to meet the EWB community
- Build relationships with African and Canadian leaders and changemakers during a 5-week intensive Canadian experience
- Stay with a Canadian host family
- Learn from relevant professional Canadian networks
- Bring intention and reflection to your personal leadership journey
- The program is costs covered. All costs related to the program are either paid for directly by EWB (airfare, insurance, visas, etc.) or indirectly through a modest daily stipend, which covers basic living expenses (food, local travel) while in Canada.
- Candidate should be a citizen of, and currently working in, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Côte D’Ivoire, Zambia or Malawi;
- You have not previously taken part in a similar fellowship program
- You are proficient in English;
- You are able to travel to Canada in January/February 2019 for a full-time five-week experience;
- You can commit to an 8-week online course, taking about 3 hours of work per week;
- You are flexible in living conditions (sharing a room with another fellow of the same gender, living with a family, etc.)
- You have the energy and drive to handle a fast-paced schedule while in Canada
For more information, visit EWB’s Kumvana Fellowship.