Mophradat Residency for Curator from the Arab World 2019 (Funded to Brazil)
Deadline: September 14, 2018
Applications for the Mophradat Residency for Curators 2019 are now open. Mophradat in collaboration with Capacete in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is offering a residency opportunity for one curator from the Arab world to develop their practice in a professional context. The program is for candidates who seek to develop their curatorial practice in a professional context and create new projects reflecting their experimentation and research. The residency lasts for three months, beginning from April 1 to June 30, 2019.
Capacete is a residency program that has been active for twenty years, aiming to set up situations and develop strategies that offer concrete and real alternatives to the unstable field of art. The 2019 program is guided by the theme of “Reconstructing the Senses” to find collective ways of inhabiting a world in which veiled and explicit violence and expropriating dynamics dominate. It looks towards an ecology of knowledge and cosmologies, with guests that articulate this vision.
- The residency offers one return economy airline ticket, accommodation in shared self-catering accommodation for the entire duration, a monthly stipend, visa costs, and travel insurance;
- It includes opportunities to participate in all of Capacete’s programs and a suggested program of visits to exhibitions, galleries, and sites of interest in Rio de Janeiro, as well as to meet with arts practitioners in the Brazilian art scene. Capacete also provides practical support, information, interpretation, and accompaniment for shorter trips, etc, and the curator will be offered an opportunity to present a lecture/talk to introduce their practice to the local public.
- Applicants must be from the Arab world.
- Applicants must be professionally engaged in curatorial activities.
- Applicants must have been working for at least five years and have a demonstrable exhibition or project history. They may hold an institutional position only in a non-commercial arts organization, or work as freelancers.
- Applicants must speak English.
- Students are not eligible to apply.
Applications must only be submitted in English by email to [email protected], and include:
- A completed application form including name and contacts of two references
- A curriculum vitae listing all educational and work experience.
- A letter answering the following questions:
- Can you describe yourself and your current curatorial and/or artistic interests? (max. 300 words)
- Cultural exchange, new networks, and experience of a different context are basic characteristics of this opportunity, but can you tell us what interests you specifically in the Capacete residency? (max. 300 words)
- What you would like to do while at the program, and what you would like to accomplish? (max. 300 words
For more information, visit Mophradat Residency for Curators.