Consultative Group to Assist the Poor (CGAP) Photo and Video Contest 2018
Deadline: December 14, 2018
Entries are invited for the Consultative Group to Assist the Poor (CGAP) Photo and Video Contest 2018. For its 13th annual contest, CGAP is looking for striking photographs and short videos that tell the story of how financial services empower poor people and communities in Africa. Show how financial services expand opportunities for poor people in Africa and enable people to build sustainable livelihoods.
This year, CGAP is seeking photos and videos from Africa that reflect the following themes:
- Reaching Excluded People: Mobile phones open up markets and access to services for people who are isolated or live in remote communities. Show how digital finance creates new opportunities for excluded Africans.
- Brighter Prospects for Young People: There are 600 million young people in Africa under the age of 25, and 72 percent of them are unemployed. Show how financial services can spur entrepreneurship among Africa’s youth.
- Digital Finance and Development: Savings, credit and insurance provide poor people with a wider range of tools to help manage their economic lives. Show how poor people are building more resilient lives.
- Grand Prize: US $2,000 gift certificate each for photography or video equipment and accessories. (No cash, check, or money transfer will be issued.)
- Categories: US $1,000 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories:
- REACHING EXCLUDED PEOPLE: Mobile phones open up markets and access to services for people who are isolated or live in remote communities. Show how digital finance creates new opportunities for excluded Africans.
- BRIGHTER PROSPECTS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE: There are 600 million young people in Africa under the age of 25, and 72 percent of them are unemployed. Show how financial services can spur entrepreneurship among Africa’s youth.
- DIGITAL FINANCE AND DEVELOPMENT: Innovative technologies and finance together offer new solutions for addressing chronic problems such as access to water, energy and health care. Show ways that financial services are helping advance the Sustainable Development Goals in Africa.
- Judges’ Honorable Mention: Judges may select up to 8 winners to receive US$250 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories.
- People’s Choice Winner: US$100 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories. Voting for the People’s Choice Award begins on December 15 and ends December 21, 2018.
- Open to all photographers and videographers who are at least 18 years old. (The operational team of CGAP, the World Bank Group, and their immediate families are excluded from participating.);
- Up to 20 photographs and/or videos may be submitted per person. Entries may be entered by uploading digital files. Each photo or video submission must be accompanied by:
- CAPTION: a short description of the activity or situation depicted
- DATE the image was taken, the location and country
- NAME of the person(s) shown with their permission to use
- Digital images or scans of prints may be uploaded
- Original files of camera-made digital photos may not exceed 20 megabytes (20 MB), and video files 300 MB.
- CGAP cannot be responsible for lost, damaged, late or misdirected entries, or for faulty uploading connections, garbled transmissions, unauthorized intervention, or technical malfunctions.
Judges will include professional photographers, videographers and photo editors. Entries will be judged on subject matter relevance, originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit. The story behind the photo or video may influence the judges’ decisions. Decisions made by the judges are final.
For more information, visit CGAP Contest.