Total/SparkNews Startupper of the Year Challenge 2018
Deadline: November 13, 2018
Total and SparkNews invite entries for the 2018 Startupper of the Year Challenge is now open. The aim is to support good ideas and projects that help address a widespread problem affecting communities in several countries. Just add energy and ideas can become something great! Are you a young entrepreneur? Do you have a project you believe in? Enter the competition now.
After the success of the first Challenge in 34 African countries, this year’s has been extended to a total of 55 countries around the world. This year, a Top Female Entrepreneur category has been introduced. During the first Challenge, women accounted for almost 25% of the winners, even though they only made up 13% of the applicants. With this special award this year, we hope to give the women entrepreneurs an extra push to take part. It is also aligned with other Total initiatives for women.
Tell them how your project will help more and more people over time, at home or even abroad. Tell them how it empowers people, improves living conditions, and contributes to overall economic well-being.
It could be about providing educational opportunities, reducing child mortality, improving public health, developing access to electricity in rural areas, improving road safety on the roads or building houses with eco-friendly materials — in fact, anything that could make life better in your country.
Anyone can change the world — teenagers or graduates, men or women. As long as you believe in your project and want to make things better, take this opportunity to participate. You could be the next Startupper of the Year or the Top Female Entrepreneur!
Prizes and Benefits
3 winners from each country will receive financial support, extensive publicity and coaching. From among these 3 winners per country, they will select grand winners by region, who will be offered additional support.
- 3 Winners:
- Financial support
- Heightened exposure (Media, PR, networking)
- 6 Grand Regional Winners:
- The first-place winner from each country will then compete for one of the six “Grand Regional Winner” awards!
- Top Female Entrepreneur:
- Startup for better energy:
- Possible partnership with the Total affiliate in the country*
- Age: The project or business owner must not be more than 35 years old.
- Nationality: The participant must be a citizen of the country where he/she participates.
- Europe: Poland, Czech Republic, Romania
- Africa: Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Burkina, Cameroon, Congo, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea Equatorial, Guinea, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mayotte, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Uganda, Réunion, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa Tanzania, Chad, Togo, Tunisia, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Asia and the Pacific: Cambodia, Fiji, Jordan, Lebanon, Malaysia, New Caledonia, Pakistan, Philippines, French Polynesia, Thailand, Vietnam
- North and South America: Chile, Jamaica, Mexico, Dominican Republic
- Project Age: The project can be an idea or a start-up created within the last two years.
- Social and community impact: The project should offer a practical way of addressing a public health, safety, education, accessibility or other issue affecting local communities.
- Innovation: Innovation isn’t necessarily revolutionary, involving something brand new or a total transformation. It can be incremental as well, improving an existing technology, product or service, or even just the way things are done.
- Potential and feasibility: Projects that demonstrate feasibility and have the potential to benefit a broader public.
To apply, click on the continent for the list of participating countries. By clicking the name of the country, you will be directed to your local website to participate. Don’t forget you must be a country national to participate!
For more information, visit Startupper of the Year.