Call for Applications: ProSPER.Net Young Researchers’ School 2019 (Scholarship available)
Deadline: December 9, 2018
The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS), and the ProSPER.Net Secretariat announces a call for applications for the Young Researchers’ School (YRS), to be held in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, from March 3-12, 2019.
Hosted by Universitas Gadjah Mada under the theme ‘Ecosystem-based Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation’, the YRS will give participants the opportunity to engage with issues related to Ecosystem-Based Disaster Risk Reduction (Eco-DRR) in the context of the tropics, whilst developing research and communication skills, as well as further encouraging future professionals to work within the field. Participants will also develop an understanding of the issues and problems related to hazards and disasters within the context of the UN 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The YRS will consist of in-class components (lectures, practical/individual/group assignments, presentations, and discussion sessions) as well as field trips held in Yogyakarta and the surrounding area.
- A limited number of scholarships are available. The scholarships cover all costs of the Young Researchers’ School tuition, a round-trip economy class ticket to Yogyakarta, visa processing fee (if applicable) and most meals. Travel insurance is mandatory and is the participant’s responsibility to insure with participant’s own cost.
- Open to PhD and Masters students from ProSPER.Net member universities. To see if your university is eligible, please check the list of ProSPER.Net members here.
- Applicants must obtain approval from their supervisor to apply.
Participants will be selected on the basis of written application according to the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in a postgraduate program in a ProSPER.Net member university
- Chosen a research topic for their PhD thesis work
- High level of understanding of written and spoken English language
- An advanced understanding of sustainability and its relevance to their own research
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and contribute to community service activities
- Limited seats are offered to Master students in ProSPER.Net member universities
For more information, visit ProSPER.Net Young Researchers’ School.