Deadline: December 13, 2018
Are you an inventor, maker, entrepreneur, coder, or have an exciting project that you would like to turn into a viable business? The Mombassa TechBridge Challenge 2019 is looking for ideas to start up!
The Mombasa TechBridge Challenge is a program where selected participants learn entrepreneurial skills and how to develop innovative ideas from experienced professionals. The main goal is to find good business ideas and entrepreneurs to start promising new companies. The Challenge will be held in Mombasa, Kenya from January to March 2019.
The selected applicants will participate in two workshops. The first workshop will be held for 4 days in January, 2019. During the six week period after, the selected teams will work on their innovative product ideas using the tools learnt. In March, at the end of the second workshop, the teams shall pitch their idea in front of a jury. This year, the challenge is to validate your product in the market and include the results of this in your final pitch.
This year’s TechBridge Challenge will focus on business ideas within the following four themes:
- Digitalization of businesses: How can mobile phones and digital tools generate more value, both ‘business to business’ and ‘business to consumer’?
- Innovative business ideas for coastal resources: Can the natural resources in the Coastal region generate more income through a more efficient value chain using tech?
- New electronic and IT technology in a Kenyan setting: How can new technology, such as drones, 3D printing and virtual reality (and others), be used in an innovative way to create business opportunities?
- Circular Economy: How can businesses in waste management, recycling and sustainable food supply be part of the thriving economy?
Ideas in these thematic areas, will get a preference in the selection, however all business ideas will be considered.
Prizes for the winners have a total value of more than KES 1,000,000
- Winner: Cash Prize of KES30,000, Seed money of KES 70,000 and 9 months incubation, international mentoring and access to further investment
- 1st Runner’s Up: Cash Prize of KES 20,000, Seed money of KES 50,000 and 9 months incubation, international mentoring and access to further investment
- 2nd Runner’s Up: Cash prize of KES 10,000, Seed money of KES 30,000 and 9 months incubation, international mentoring and access to further investment
- Potentially, 7 other winners awarded Seed money, 9 months incubation program, international mentoring and access to further investment
- Open for current and recently graduated students of universities, colleges, institutions, and other young entrepreneurs with startups within Mombasa, Kilifi, Lamu, Taita-Taveta, Tana River and Kwale;
- Your idea must be new, not having received any seed-funding or won competitions anywhere else, and should be a product or service using technology;
- Participation is free of charge.
For more information, visit TechBridge Challenge.