European Parliament’s Sakharov Fellowship for Human Rights Defenders 2019 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: January 7, 2019
Applications are invited for the European Parliament’s Sakharov Fellowship for Human Rights Defenders 2019. The Fellowship offers up to 14 human rights defenders selected from non-EU countries the opportunity to follow a two week intensive training in Brussels and the European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation in Venice.
Under the Sakharov Fellowship training program human rights defenders will
- Enhance their knowledge of EU and international human rights frameworks, policies and mechanisms and
- Develop capacities to advocate for and effect positive change to protect human rights.
- Beyond the training, Sakharov Fellows will
- Help grow the network of Sakharov Fellows to share best practices, disseminate the acquired knowledge and extend awareness of the Sakharov Prize and the Sakharov Prize Network;
- Have the opportunity to maintain links with the work of the European Parliament and continue liaising with EU Delegations in their respective countries.
- The Fellowship covers return travel from the country of origin, accommodation in Brussels and Venice and a daily living allowance.
- Candidates should have a proven record in campaigning for human rights in a NGO or other organisation or in an individual capacity;
- They must have a high level of English, sufficient to follow and contribute to discussion groups and workshops in Brussels and Venice.
- The selection of Fellows is based on the above criteria and the need to ensure gender balance as well as the representation of a variety of geographical areas and human rights issues.
For more information, visit Sakharov Fellowship.