WTO Trade and Public Health Workshop 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland (Funding available)
Deadline: June 30, 2019
Applications are open for the WTO Trade and Public Health Workshop 2019. The WTO, in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), will hold its 6th annual Workshop on Trade and Public Health in Geneva from November 11 to 15, 2019.
The workshop will take a holistic approach to the interlinkages between trade and public health, building on similar workshops and activities organized by the WTO Secretariat since 2005. The event will follow the approach developed in the WHO-WIPO-WTO trilateral study, “Promoting Access to Medical Technologies and Innovation: Intersections Between Public health, Intellectual Property and Trade”.
The goal of the workshop is to build the capacity of policymakers – to equip them with the knowledge, tools and skills critical to analysing complex policy choices at the crossroads of trade, intellectual property and public health. The workshop will examine the role that multilateral trade agreements play as part of the wider action to meet increasingly urgent public health needs.
The programme this year covers: public health determinants; the intellectual property system; pricing and procurement policies; competition policy and rules; tariffs, quotas and licensing; health services; and regulatory issues, including approval, quality control and effectiveness of medicines, the protection of clinical trial data under the Trade-related Aspects of Intellectual Property (TRIPS) Agreement and health-related measures in the framework of the Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) and Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) committees. Breakout sessions on topical issues such as anti-microbial resistance and the fast-evolving advances in the medical technology industry will take place throughout the week. Participants will also engage in exercises and case studies designed to examine key areas.
- The WTO Secretariat can fund a maximum of 30 participants. Provision will also be made for up to five self-funded participants.
- Senior government officials who want to enhance their technical knowledge and policymaking expertise at the intersections of public health, intellectual property and trade are invited to apply.
- Specifically, this workshop is designed for senior government officials who make, assess and implement trade and IP policy options that impact public health. Candidates must have established expertise and experience in their fields of work, a good level of knowledge of the WTO agreements and public health policy and all-round proficiency in English, the working language of the workshop.
- Government officials from authorities responsible for trade, intellectual property, public health, foreign affairs or any other relevant authority in the interface between trade agreements and public health are welcome to apply.
The application process for this activity consists of the following steps:
- Interested candidates need to duly complete and submit the online application form
- The online application form requires uploading a scanned copy of the passport and of the official nomination letter, signed and stamped by the candidate’s supervisor. A template for such a letter to be signed and stamped by the national authority can be found on the following page
- The application form, including the passport and nomination letter, should be submitted via the online application system
For more information, visit WTO Workshop.