Akili Dada Call for Young Women Social Entrepreneurs in Kenya
Deadline: September 6, 2019
Akili Dada is seeking to invest in 30 young women from three counties in Kenya for a period of 2 years to develop their leadership skills and grow their enterprises’ sustainability. Are you a young woman aged 25-30 years old? Running a start-up social enterprise i.e. a business with a social change goal in KISUMU, KILIFI or THARAKA NITHI County? Akili Dada is looking for you!
Akili Dada is an international, award-winning leadership incubator cultivating transformative leadership in a generation of young African women. They apply a holistic approach to educating and cultivating leadership in adolescent girls and young women by employing four key strategies to nurture growth and meaningful impact; financial investment, leadership development, movement building and advocacy, and mentorship.
By selecting from and building the capacity of some of Africa’s most innovative young women, we are meeting the urgent need for more African women in leadership as well as the overarching need for creative and empathetic leadership that holds justice at its core.
Selected young women will have access to;
- Thematic training and development to expand their knowledge in leadership and social enterprise management.
- A network of mentors to support young women’s personal and professional growth
- Seed funding to develop and grow their enterprises
- Akili Dada’s network of funding and development partners
- Learning visits to organizations in the social enterprise sector
You are the right candidate for this program if you meet ALL of the following criteria;
- A young woman aged 25-30 years old.
- Currently residing in Kilifi, Kisumu or Tharaka Nithi County.
- Running a social enterprise i.e. a business with a social change goal.
- Running an enterprise that has been in operation for at least 1 year, but not more than 2 years.
- The founder or co-founder of the enterprise.
- Passionate about transformative leadership and sustainable community development.
- Proficient in English.
- Your enterprise should be operating in Kisumu, Tharaka Nithi or Kilifi Counties.
- Applicants should demonstrate how their enterprises contribute to the attainment of the UN sustainable development goals (SDG), click here to read more about the SDGs.
- Applicants whose enterprises address goal 2,3,5,8,9,12 and 16 are especially encouraged to apply.
The selected program participant commits to;
- Participate in a two-week intense convening in November 2019 in Nairobi.
- Take part in periodic mentoring sessions and virtual training throughout the two years.
- Attend all other related activities held by Akili Dada in their respective counties.
- Avail themselves for site visits to evaluate and support their enterprises.
Please note that this two-year program is not full-time. Selected candidates MUST avail themselves for all program activities as stipulated in the commitments above. The 2-week convening is an intensive and full-time residential program and all selected applicants will be required to attend. The rest of the program involves online and other distance learning activities which candidates MUST participate in.
Completed application forms must be submitted along with two recommendation letters and a CV/portfolio.
For more information, visit Akili Dada.