Deadline: September 20, 2019
Applications are open for the AVAC Advocacy Fellowship Program 2020. The overall goal of Advocacy Fellows is to expand and strengthen the capacity of civil society advocates and organisations to monitor, support and help shape HIV prevention research and rapid rollout of new effective interventions in low- and middle-income countries with high HIV burdens.
The program is guided by the belief that effective, sustainable advocacy grows out of work that reflects country level organisational and individual interests and priorities and is led by passionate advocates who are motivated to bring change. The Fellows program is implemented through a close collaboration among the Advocacy Fellow, the Host Organisation and AVAC.
The Advocacy Fellows Program will run for one year, from April 2020 to March 2021. Selected Advocacy Fellows should also plan to spend a few days working closely with AVAC and their hosts to develop their work plans before the Fellows Program year begins.
The Fellows Program provides:
- Mentoring and capacity building in HIV prevention research and implementation advocacy from AVAC for both Advocacy Fellows and Host Organisations.
- Connection to a global network of HIV advocates including current and former Advocacy Fellows, researchers, civil society leaders and other individuals and/or organisations working in similar fields.
- Opportunities for networking and information sharing with other Advocacy Fellows and a broader community of advocates including activists, scientists, clinical trial staff and other stakeholders working in the HIV movement.
- A small stipend and technical assistance for the selected Advocacy Fellow for the initial development of a detailed work plan (up to three days over a maximum of two months). This phase takes place before the official Fellows Program year begins.
- Financial support and technical assistance from AVAC for project implementation over 12 months. Through a grant to the Host organisation, the Fellow will receive full-time salary support, a budget for project execution and access to a discretionary fund for specific travel, infrastructure or and information technology (IT) needs
The Advocacy Fellows Program seeks the following:
- Emerging or mid-career community leaders and advocates involved or interested in advocacy around HIV prevention research and implementation
- Individuals with some experience or education in the areas of HIV and AIDS, public health, medicine, international development, women’s rights, communications, or advocacy with key populations, such as sex workers, LGBTQ individuals and drug users
- Individuals based in low- and middle-income countries with high HIV burdens and where biomedical HIV prevention clinical research is planned and or ongoing and/or where there is current work on implementation of newer biomedical prevention strategies (such as pre-exposure prophylaxis or PrEP, treatment, VMMC and multi intervention programs such as the DREAMS Initiative for adolescent girls and young women or AGYW.) Advocates can also develop proposals that seek to catalyze plans and policies in countries where little activity on these issues has happened to date.
- Those people proficient in the English language. Applications are encouraged from all countries where biomedical prevention research or rollout is ongoing, however the Advocacy Fellow and key staff at her/his organisation must be able to communicate with AVAC staff in English.
- Demonstrated awareness of and willingness to learn about ongoing prevention research and implementation in their respective countries, although extensive knowledge in biomedical HIV prevention is not required. They must also be able to demonstrate strategic analysis of how Fellows Program activities will relate to local prevention landscapes.
Applicants must submit the individual and Host Organisation information forms, the essay/short answer questions, the Host Organisation letter of support by September 20, 2019.
Download the Advocacy Fellows Program Application and Supporting Materials:
- 2020 Advocacy Fellows Program – Application
- Information Packet
- Resources & Recommended Reading for Prospective Applicants
- Frequently Asked Questions from Host Organizations about the Fellows Program
- Host Commitment Form
- 2018 Advocacy Fellows Achievements
- Flyer — Call for 2020 Advocacy Fellows — Please share with your networks and colleagues!
Complete the Application Form and submit along with other relevant documents to [email protected]
For more information, visit AVAC Advocacy Fellowship.