Deadline: September 16, 2019
Application for the IFEX Regional Editor Position for the Americas Region is now open. IFEX is looking for a Regional Editor for the Americas Region, to contribute to IFEX communications and campaigns that reflect and respond to their regional members’ issues and priorities.
As a Regional Editor, you will help IFEX maintain a strong connection with events, trends, media and influencers in your region. The contract is part-time (average is 120 hours/month) and the hours are fairly flexible, but it does require being online daily.
IFEX is a global network of more than 100 member organisations based in over 65 countries around the world that promote and defend the right to freedom of expression and information. The IFEX Secretariat is based in Toronto, Canada.
Duties and Responsibilities
Regional Editors are an important link between the IFEX Secretariat and the regions where IFEX members are based. They monitor free expression news and developments in their region, checking websites and social media channels of IFEX members and others, daily, sharing key regional developments with other IFEX staff, and amplifying member voices over IFEX communications channels. They liaise with IFEX members on communications-related topics, and help connect IFEX with media and influencers in their region.
They contribute their knowledge and expertise to IFEX’s Communications and Network Engagement goals through a number of activities, including:
- Recommending IFEX member stories about their region as well as of global significance to republish on ifex.org and publish in the e-newsletter;
- Writing a monthly regional brief (in English or Spanish) for IFEX.org that brings together free expression-related news and trends in and about their region, based on reports from IFEX members and others;
- Identifying, developing and writing between 4 and 8 other original articles/year;
- Editing Spanish translations of content;
- Uploading their own content onto the IFEX website CMS;
- Contributing to strategies to build regional audiences and engagement and connect with allies, media and influencers;
- Writing and scheduling tweets for the IFEX Twitter account (using Hootsuite) in English and Spanish that contribute to a social media presence that is engaging, useful, consistent and credible;
- Managing the IFEX-ALC Twitter account and supporting other IFEX-ALC communications as needed;
- Liaising with their regional counterpart on IFEX’s Network Engagement Team to contribute ideas and activities related to communications.
- Applicant should be fluent in English and Spanish, with strong writing skills in both
- Should enjoy connecting with people, and working collaboratively on projects
- Must be tuned into what’s going on in the free expression and broader human rights landscape in Latin America, the Caribbean and beyond
- A bit obsessed with staying informed, right up to the minute
- Be a self-starter, and good with deadlines
- Have desire to use your writing skills to inform and engage people on important issues
- Should be savvy about using social media as a tool for advocacy and to grow audiences
- Energized by finding ways to engage with and share information with others
- Be familiar with Hootsuite and WordPress
If you’re interested, send a cover letter and CV to [email protected], with “Americas Regional Editor” in the subject line.
For more information, visit IFEX Regional Editor.