UNAOC Young Peacebuilders Programme in the MENA Region 2019-2020 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: September 30, 2019
Applications are open for the 4th edition of the UNAOC Young Peacebuilders Programme focusing on the MENA region. Guided by the principle that youth are key actors to achieve peace and prevent violent extremism, UNAOC develops educational programming to enhance the ability of young people and their organizations to foster mutual respect, understanding and long-term positive relationships between peoples of different cultures and religions.
The Young Peacebuilders is a peace education initiative that is designed to support young people in gaining skills that can enhance their positive role in issues of peace and security and in preventing violent conflict. It also brings visibility to the initiatives, actions and projects initiated by young people towards peace and the promotion of diversity and dialogue. As such, it responds to recent international policy recommendations outlined in the United Nations Security Council Resolutions 2250 and 2419 on Youth, Peace and Security and the Secretary-General’s Plan of Action on Preventing Violent Extremism.
UNAOC intends to implement this programme in different regions of the world to grow and strengthen the global movement of young peacebuilders. Through this action, UNAOC is committing to support young people’s participation in peacebuilding with a growing coalition of partners.
- Part 1: Online phase. Participants access the course through an online collaborative platform. UNAOC and other trainers facilitate the first few modules of the curriculum, giving an opportunity to participants to get to know each other prior to their first in-person meeting. They also start getting exposed to tools and concepts, engage in discussion and start reflecting on their peace actions.
- Part 2: Face-to-face workshop. All participants travel to complete the training and experience how peacebuilding is successfully implemented through local field visits.
- Part 3: Applied learning. Implementation of a personal peace initiative: participants are guided by UNAOC’s professional trainers and stay connected with other participants through the online platform, while reporting on the implementation of their projects.
- Part 4: Results sharing symposium. Participants are invited to participate in a symposium during which they share their experience, lessons learned, achievements and recommendations with a broader audience of practitioners, policy makers, media and the general public.
This is a call to youth aged 18-25 from MENA wanting to tackle violent extremism by building inclusive societies with understanding and respect among cultural and religious communities
- Are you between 18 and 25 years old?
- Are you a citizen of a MENA country and do you currently live in this region?
- Are you interested in taking part in an intercultural learning experience with other young people from MENA and improve your actions to promote peace?
- Are you part of a youth-led organization, network or initiative?
- Do you want to increase your ability to contribute to peace and social inclusion in your community, country and region?
- Are you in the beginning stages of your involvement in this type of work and want to learn more?
If yes, apply now for a chance to be selected for a fully funded participation to the 4th edition of the UNAOC Young Peacebuilders programme in the MENA region.
For more information, visit UNAOC Young Peacebuilders.