OIST Research Internship Program 2020 for Undergraduate or Masters students in Japan
Deadline: October 15, 2019
Applications are open for the OIST Research Internship Program 2020. The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through a system of undergraduate and graduate placements as Research Interns.
These 2-6 month placements give the opportunity to gain experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique. Interns work under the direction of a Professor at OIST and contribute to the research activities of OIST. Specific assignment of duties is at the discretion of the PI, and is subject to change.
- OIST provides living allowance, commuting support where necessary, and accommodation either on campus or nearby. Successful applicants will receive a Living Allowance of 2,400 JPY per day (weekends excluded) while at OIST.
- OIST will pay for one direct roundtrip travel for Research Interns between the home university or institution and the research unit or other facility where the internship will take place (primarily in Okinawa). The travel dates must be as close as possible to the term of the placement. Travel for successful applicants is arranged by the OIST Graduate School.
- The Student Support Section of the Graduate School will provide support for Research Interns at OIST with matters such as housing, visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. OIST regrets that support for dependents, family members, and persons other than the student is not available.
- Open to excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions. Currently enrolled students must have approval from their home institution;
- Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST;
- Graduate School funded internships are highly competitive and are only awarded to outstanding applicants who are in the final 2 years of their academic program, or are recent graduates within the past year before the application deadline. In some cases, additional internship positions may be offered directly by OIST faculty to other outstanding applicants, particularly for those with highly-developed skills relevant to the group’s research.
Research Intern places are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis. Selection is highly competitive, and depends on suitability of the intended research, academic background, available funding and space. Not all available positions will necessarily be filled.
You will need to open an account in order to apply to the program. Be sure to remember your username and password. You may complete the application all at once or in multiple sessions. Please fill out and submit the following materials to apply for the program:
- Curriculum Vitae Sheet
- Personal Statement
- Academic Transcript – Upload a scan of your current academic transcript in PDF format. Unofficial partial transcripts are accepted.
- Recommendation Letter – A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required. The application system will ask him/ her directly, using the email contact details that you provide. Please obtain the consent of that person before submitting their details in the form. Be sure to also confirm the e-mail address before entering it in the web-form. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when a letter of recommendation is received by OIST.
- ID Photo – Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation (image must be in JPG format, and less than 5 MB).
For more information, visit OIST Research Internship Program.