United Nations Ocean Conference 2020: Apply for Special-accreditation!
Deadline: November 15, 2019
Application for Special-accreditation to the 2020 United Nations Ocean Conference is NOW OPEN. Interested Stakeholders are invited to APPLY.
The General Assembly in its resolution 73/292 decided to convene the 2020 United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development. The overarching theme of the Conference is “Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: stocktaking, partnerships and solutions”.
As part of the preparatory process for the 2020 United Nations Ocean Conference, the President of the General Assembly will convene a two-day preparatory meeting for the Conference in February 2020. In order to participate in the Preparatory Meeting in February 2020, relevant organizations NOT in consultative status with ECOSOC as well as those that were NOT accredited to the listed conferences below must express interest here and must apply for special accreditation prior to 15 November 2019.
- World Summit on Sustainable Development
- United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development
- High-level United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Intergovernmental conference on an internationally legally binding instrument under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea on the conservation and sustainable use of marine biological diversity of areas beyond national jurisdiction
- Previous United Nations conferences on sustainable development of small island developing States, held in Barbados, Mauritius and Samoa
The following participants may attend or be represented at the preparatory meeting and the Conference:
- All States Members of the United Nations
- Members of the specialized agencies and parties to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)
- Intergovernmental organizations
- International financial institutions and other international bodies
- Associate members of the regional commissions
- Organizations and bodies of the United Nations
- Non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector and philanthropic organizations.
Organizations approved for participation will be informed and their representatives will be able to register individually in December 2019 for the February 2020 Preparatory Meeting. Specially-accredited entities will also be able to register for the Ocean Conference, which will open after the Preparatory Meeting.
Applications for Special-accreditation may be submitted until 15 November 2019. Stakeholder special-accreditation is available only for organizations. Individuals may not apply for special-accreditation.
Necessary documents for special-accreditation application:
- URL of organization’s website
- An annual report of organization
- Evidence of legal status of organization
- A motivation letter from the head of organization explaining relevance for the 2020 United Nations Ocean Conference
- Logo of organization in the photo field (not individual applicant)
Only organizations can apply for special-accreditation to the Preparatory Meeting and the 2020 United Nations Ocean Conference. This application is not for individuals.
For more information, visit UN Ocean Conference.