African Development Bank (AfDB) Young Professionals Program 2020
Deadline: November 13, 2019
Do you have passion and commitment to development of Africa? Outstanding academic and professional achievements? A commitment to engage in crucial issues in Africa’s development? Do you wish to make a difference, be part of something bigger than yourself and explore your leadership potential? If yes, then apply for the African Development Bank (AfDB) Young Professionals Program 2020.
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) is a three year leadership opportunity for the development of Bank’s future leaders. They attract highly qualified and motivated professionals from member countries for a productive and rewarding career path in development. Through the YPP, the Bank ensures continuity and excellence in both the management of its work programs and the provision of policy advice to its regional member countries.
The Bank seeks to recruit Young Professionals in specific disciplines and specialist professional areas that are aligned to the Ten-Year Strategy (TYS); the five priority areas of the Bank (High 5s) and People strategy. The Hi-5s are captured below:
- Light Up and Power Africa: Power Systems Development (grid base power system, power utilities), Climate Change and Green Growth (climate finance, climate adaptation), Energy Statistics, Policy and Regulation (energy statistics), Renewable Energy (off grid energy access), Energy Partnerships (energy partnerships and stake-holders engagement, energy markets).
- Feed Africa: Agriculture & Agro-industry (agribusiness development, agriculture research, production and sustainability), Agricultural finance & Rural development (agricultural and rural finance, rural infrastructure development).
- Integrate Africa: Development Research (macroeconomic policy, debt sustainability and forecasting, microeconomic, institutional and development impact), Governance and public financial management (program development, policy management), Statistics (economic and social statistics, statistical capacity building).
- Industrialize Africa: Private Sector Development (strategy and new product, portfolio asset management, special operations), Financial sector development (financial institutions, financial inclusion), Infrastructure, cities & urban development (transport and logistics, ICT), Industrial and trade development.
- Improve the lives of the people of Africa: Water, Human and Social development (education, human capital and employment, sanitation and public health.
- Be a citizen of a member country of the Bank.
- Be 32 years of age or younger by 1st May 2020.
- Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials.
- Have at least 3 years work experience in the areas related to the high priority areas (Hi-5s) as mentioned above.
- Interested candidates with coding, e-development, animation and platforms designs and maintenance are required this year.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries is a necessary requirement.
- Have passion for Africa’s Development
- Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others. Work effectively in teams with displayed high adaptability to a diverse environment.
- Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results- orientation and problem-solving capability.
- High business acumen and innovative mindset.
- Be proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
- Have skills that enable you work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves.
- Be willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, and any other country in Africa where the Bank may require your services.
The following documents are required:
- Maximum two page Curriculum Vitae in Microsoft Word version.
- Copies of Academic Certificates/Transcripts.
- PhD Dissertation/Master’s Thesis topic (short summary), if applicable.
- You will be expected to write an essay of about 800 words.