MTN MoMo Developer Online Hackathon 2019 (Win USD $2500 plus trip to Sweden)
Deadline: December 8, 2019
Applications are invited for the MTN MoMo Developer Online Hackathon 2019. MTN is excited to invite developers and entrepreneurs across 5 countries to participate in the MoMo API Hackathon. The Hackathon which is in partnership with Ericsson will give App developers based in Ghana, Uganda, Cote d’Ivoire, Cameroon and Zambia the opportunity to come up with innovative financial and transactional applications using the MTN mobile money (MoMo) API platform.
MTN is a leading Fintech operator and MTN Mobile Money (MoMo) is available in 14 markets across Africa. The range of solutions to close the financial services gap in the markets in which MTN operates requires partnerships with financial services providers, regulatory authorities, other mobile network operators, merchants, distributors, businesses, technology providers, entrepreneurs, and developers. It is through working with its partners that MTN is improving the economic and social well-being of millions of Africans.
In its commitment to bridge the financial inclusion gap, MTN Group has made it’s Mobile Money platform available across its footprint through the MoMo API program. MTN is now seeking businesses, entrepreneurs and developers across the continent to innovate around and leverage Mobile Money to accelerate financial inclusion and payment digitization.
This is your space to shine and change the game! You are expected to come up with innovative financial and transactional applications for MTN MoMo using MTN Mobile Money APIs. Your solution will provide an important step forward that will allow MTN MoMo to become a universal means of payment in your country.
Increasing financial inclusion through the use of digital technology is an essential element in furthering the economic development of Africa, particularly for more isolated communities.
- 1st Prize: USD 2500 plus a trip to Sweden organised by Ericsson for one team member.
2nd Prize: USD 2000
- 3rd Prize: USD 1500
- Open to applicants from Uganda, Cameroon, Ghana, Cote D’ivore, and Zambia.
- This is a team participation hackathon. You can have at most 4 members in your team. You can either invite your friends to form a team or you can request other teams to add you as a member. At least 2 members of your team must be located in the country you have applied from.
- It’s an online hackathon, so you can participate from anywhere.
- The hackathon comprises of two phases: The idea submission phase that commences at 00:01 on October 21, 2019 and that ends at 23:59 on December 8, 2019 and then the build phase that will commence at 00:01 on December 10, 2019 and will end at 23:59 on December 22, 2019.
- Only the top 12 (twelve) participants’ ideas per country (Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Uganda and Zambia) submitted during the idea submission phase will be invited to participate in the build phase to develop a working prototype of an App based on the idea submitted.
- There is one general theme for the hackathon and your hack must be in accordance with this general theme. You need to use the MTN Mobile Money APIs for your hack.
- Once the hackathon starts, you will get an option to submit your hack, you can submit as many times as you want, the last hack will be considered as the final submission.
- You are expected to come up with new and innovative ideas, any idea that has been copied from somewhere will be disqualified.
- Your hack must be developed entirely during the Hackathon duration. You may use open source libraries and other freely available systems / services such as Google Maps, Facebook Connect, Twitter feeds etc., but you must comply with the relevant licences governing such libraries.
- The intellectual property in the App that you submit during the build phase belongs to you/your team.
- By participating in the hackathon, you agree to the terms and conditions that govern the challenge, as well as the terms and conditions of HackerEarth which will be facilitating the Challenge
For more information, visit MTN MoMo.