World Photography Organisation (WPO) ZEISS Photography Award 2020 (Win funded trips to London & Germany)
Deadline: February 4, 2020
Applications are open for the World Photography Organisation (WPO) ZEISS Photography Award 2020. Launched in 2016 by the World Photography Organisation and ZEISS, the ZEISS Photography Award rewards the world’s most distinctive image-makers creating outstanding series showing their individual way of seeing the world.
Photographers are challenged to submit bodies of work responding to a particular theme. The 2020 brief is “Seeing Beyond – Discoveries”. The ZEISS Photography Award seeks out to celebrate those photographers pushing the creative boundaries of the medium while demonstrating a strong visual narrative.
For the 2020 ZEISS Photography Award photographers are asked to respond to the theme Seeing Beyond – Discoveries.
Throughout time the human race has been driven to make discoveries. This might be a personal revelation, a scientific and technological breakthrough or an idea that has led to social change – a new way of thinking that’s revolutionised our everyday lives. Since photography’s inception, many great individuals have seen the camera as a tool to explore and question the world, and used the power of the image to shed light on something new.
Epiphanies, inventions and transformations from the known to the unknown, we want to see something new. Submissions exploring the landscape, humans, science, political or economic changes, or even something more conceptual, are all welcome.
While all creative responses are encouraged, submissions must actively explore the topic of the brief. The series should be between five to ten images, have a clear narrative that aligns with the brief (Seeing Beyond – Discoveries) and visual consistency. Entrants can submit all different types of photography – be that in technique or subject matter. All submissions must be accompanied by a supporting statement which outlines the story behind the work.
Winner of the ZEISS Photography Award receives:
- A range of ZEISS camera lenses of their choice worth a total of €12,000
- €3,000 to cover travel costs for a photo project
- Flights and accommodation to attend the Sony World Photography Awards night and the exhibition opening in London in April 2020
- ZEISS will also invite the winner to their headquarters in Germany to enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour of the factory and the chance to test out a variety of ZEISS lenses
- The winner will also have the chance to collaborate directly with ZEISS and the World Photography Organisation for future projects
A selection of shortlisted series will also be on show at London’s Somerset House during the Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition. Dates of the exhibition to be announced in early 2020.
- Open to all Photographers entering a body of work between 5 to 10 images
- All entrants must be over 18
Image Entry Criteria
- Un-published work entered into the competition must have been taken between the dates of January 1, 2016 and February 4, 2020. Once unpublished work has been entered, it cannot be entered again as published work in the future year of the awards competition.
- Published work may have been taken at any point in history, but must have been commissioned or acquired or first published between the dates of January 1, 2016 and February 4, 2020. Eligible publications include magazines, newspapers, online and print editorial, self-publishing websites, including personal sites as well as commissioned gallery exhibitions. Images included in past photographic competitions, advertisements, marketing material, blogs, social media and all other visible platforms prior to January 1st 2016 will be considered published and not permissible within this competition.
- Images should be no smaller than 1MB and no larger than 5MB. Images should be JPEG files.
- All images must be saved in the sRGB colour model and EXIF data must be left in the image file.
- All entrants must be able to supply a high-resolution image suitable for printing in exhibitions should the image be required.
The photo projects submitted to the 2020 ZEISS Photography Award are judged by a renowned panel composed of three international experts from the photography industry. Judges will be evaluating submissions on their technical expertise, visual storytelling and creativity. It is important each series entered sticks to the 2020 brief: Seeing Beyond – Discoveries.
For more information, visit ZEISS Photography Award.