Technovation Girls Competition 2020 for Global Problem Solvers ($10,000 prize + trip to San Francisco)
Deadline: March 16, 2020
Calling all Global Problem Solvers: Registration for Technovation Girls is open! Every year, Technovation invites teams of girls from all over the world to learn and apply the skills needed to solve real-world problems through technology. Technovation Girls equips young women (ages 10-18) to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. With the support of volunteer mentors, girls work in teams to code mobile apps that address real-world problems.
Are you ready to change the world through technology? Are you curious, creative, and determined? Do you have big ideas and the courage to explore them? This competition is for you.
How it works
- Technovation Girls is a free technology-based program for girls ages 10 – 18.
- Working in teams (of 1 to 5), girls find a problem in their community and build a mobile app to help solve it. Along the way, they develop their collaboration, problem-solving, and leadership skills.
- Technovation Girls will take 30+ hours to complete (we recommend allocated about 12 weeks to finish) and is completely free.
Cost and Benefits
The Technovation curriculum is FREE. All you need is up to five middle school or high school girls, a safe place to meet, a laptop with internet. Teams may purchase smartphones to test the apps they create, but this can also be done in a limited way through a web-based phone emulator on App Inventor.
- Any girl or young woman (ages 10-18) interested in Technovation Girls is eligible to compete.
To join the competition, a girl must create or join a team on the online platform, have a parent/guardian sign the consent form and meet the following Student Participation criteria:
- All students must be between the ages of 10 to 18 as of August 1, 2020.
- All students must identify as female. No males can enter the competition.
- Teams are composed of 1 to 5 students. Students can only join 1 team.
- Competition Divisions are based on the age of the oldest student on the team.
- Students can participate in Technovation Girls for multiple seasons until they reach the age of 18
- Students can work with the same team members and mentors, but they cannot submit the materials to competition over multiple years.
- Teams can explore the same problem, but the app prototype must be different each year.
Technovation Girls is a self-select program and there is no application/selection process.
Do you want to volunteer as a mentor? Here are the eligibility details:
- Mentors must be over the age of 18
- Mentors can be Technovation Girls alumni
- To mentor a team you will need to register and complete the following information:
- Consent form
- Background Check (if applicable)
- Short biography about yourself
- Participate in a 30 minute training which includes basics about the program, student safety and competition requirements
- October 10, 2019: Registration Opens for students and mentors
- January 14, 2020: Official Start of 2020 Season
- March 16, 2020: Last Day to Register as a student or mentor (All members of your team must have registered and joined your team)
- March 23, 2020: Judge registration opens for volunteers who’d like to help choose the winners of our competition
- April 20, 2020. 19:00 UTC : Competition Submission Deadline
- Mid-April – Mid-May, 2020: Regional Pitch Events & Online Judging
- Early June, 2020: Semifinal Online Judging
- August, 2020 – Technovation Global Summit
For more information, visit Technovation Girls.