IIASA Science Communication Fellowship 2020 (Fully-funded to Vienna)
Deadline: January 11, 2020
Applications are open for the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) Science Communication Fellowship 2020. The fellowship starts on May 25 and ends on August 31. The IIASA Science Communication Fellowship is a highly competitive program that immerses early-career science communicators in the dynamic work of the IIASA Communications Department.
The science communication fellow will gain experience in communicating complex systems science for a general audience through a variety of platforms including blogs, website content, video, and articles for IIASA’s magazine, Options. The successful candidate will work in the IIASA Communications Department, assisting with a variety of tasks including web publishing, media relations, event coverage, multimedia, social media, and other communication activities. The fellow will also work closely with participants in the IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP), and IIASA scientists producing several pieces of work covering their research.
The fellowship covers the cost of travel to and from Vienna and the awardee’s home country at the beginning and end of the fellowship, as well as a modest stipend to offset living expenses during the period of the fellowship.
The stipend is 4,000 EUR for the three months. IIASA does not provide housing or additional funding for housing.
- Applicants should have a bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome, but IIASA gives preference to those from countries where IIASA has a National Member Organization (NMO).
- Experience in writing about science for the general public via blogs, newspapers, university web sites, or other outlets.
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research.
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia.
To apply, email the following documents to Ms. Alia Harrison, Recruitment Coordinator, Human Resources Department, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis at [email protected]
- Cover Letter
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience (e.g., article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, or op-ed)
- A letter of recommendation