Screen Nova Scotia Screenwriter Internship Program 2019/2020 (Funded)
Deadline: December 16, 2020
Applications are open for the Screen Nova Scotia Screenwriter Internship Program 2019/2020. Now in its second year, this television writing training program is designed to help emerging to mid-level Nova Scotian screenwriters grow their network, sharpen their professional skills, and bring new perspectives and ideas to the writers’ rooms of established television series.
Participation in these two-week internships will offer local screenwriter’s hands-on training, industry insight, invaluable experience and practical knowledge to help them advance as writers of compelling scripts for television. Their experience will also make them ideal candidates for local producers who are looking for talent to develop projects within Nova Scotia.
Selected writers will be paired with a writers’ room for a two-week internship, which allows them to gain invaluable screenwriting experience, as well as facilitate relationships that can prove invaluable in developing a screenwriting career.
- There is no fee to apply and Screen Nova Scotia will cover costs of the internship (flight, accommodation, and per diem).
Emerging and mid-level screenwriters can apply to the program with a writing sample for an original, English-language concept for a television series suitable for broadcast. Only concepts in the genres of drama, comedy, and children’s and youth programming are eligible.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be a resident of Nova Scotia;
- Not be enrolled in any full-time school or university program;
- Demonstrate ownership of all underlying rights to their original concept;
- Be a member in good standing of Screen Nova Scotia;
- Demonstrate in the support material an understanding of the fundamentals of television screenwriting, such as story arcs and character development;
- Commit to the two-week, full-day intensive writers’ room internship (please ensure you are available for the required room dates before applying, as these are not flexible).
In addition to completing and submitting the online application Form, entrants must send SNS the following:
- A letter of interest and intent describing why you believe this program is right for you, based on your background and career objectives;
- A resume/CV that includes credits as well as relevant education and training;
- A current letter of reference (2018-2019) from a recognized industry professional;
- A writing sample: One script for either a 1-hour or 1/2-hour TV series. Not eligible are feature film scripts, co-written scripts, and spec scripts for existing television series.
When submitting, please save all support materials in .PDF format and send to: email@example.com with the subject line “Screenwriter Internship Program”. Be sure to submit the online Application Form at the same time, so all materials are received together.
For more information, visit Screen Nova Scotia.