UMOJA UWC Short Course 2020 Tanzania: Call for Coordinator
Deadline: January 12, 2020
Do you have a passion for community building, organising youth activities, designing interactive workshops and/or working to make the world a better place? Apply to join the UMOJA UWC Short Course 2020 coordinating team!
The 10 day Short Course will be held at UWC East Africa (Moshi, Tanzania) in July 2020 at the foothills of Kilimanjaro Mountain. Umoja will bring together 24 participants from all around the world under the theme “Coming Together to Build Community” with the primary course language being English.
UMOJA will allow participants to explore the challenges and opportunities of building peaceful communities in a sustainable manner. The Short Course will address how to understand potential conflict and how to identify related actors. It also aims to explore and foster understanding of the multiple, complex identities within a community by focusing on themes such as gender, privilege and inequality. Additionally, the Short Course will place an emphasis on the ability of participants to act as change agents within their community by exploring community building techniques and youth activism.
The course will follow the United World Colleges model of experiential learning. It will thus be centered around interactive workshops, community engagement, guest speakers, and field trips. The course will equip participants to think critically, engage globally and become leaders in their own community.
Six Coordinator positions are now open including:
- 1 Lead Coordinator in charge of Partnerships & Outreach;
- 1 Lead Coordinator in charge of Finance;
- 2 Participant Coordinators;
- 1 Program Coordinator;
- 1 Communications & Outreach Coordinator.
- All coordinators will play central roles in both the planning of the Short Course and its delivery (as facilitators).
- Facilitation will require all coordinators to co-create and co-deliver workshops during the Short Course.
- Planning roles will depend on the specific portfolio a coordinator has.
- This is a volunteer position and no monetary compensation can be provided. However, all accommodation, food and course expenses in Tanzania will be covered by the Short Course. A travel stipend of 200 USD and an additional visa stipend of 50 USD (where applicable) will be provided for travel to Tanzania.
- Open to individuals who have a passion for community building, organising youth activities, designing interactive workshops and/or working to make the world a better place.
The course planning will take place remotely via weekly Skype team calls, emails, and WhatsApp conversations. Coordinators will have the oversight and take the lead on their respective areas with the support of the lead coordinators. Specific targeted experience for the position you apply for is therefore required!
Please find a list of specific tasks for the available positions to review before you apply here.
For more information, visit UMOJA UWC Short Course.