Hot Job: African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Teaching Assistant Positions
The African Institute of Mathematical Sciences is inviting applications for Teaching Assistant positions. The AIMS centres are unique postgraduate educational centres recruiting students from the whole of Africa and preparing them for careers in quantitative science.
Each centre needs a dedicated group of advanced students and academics as tutors to assist in implementing its exciting teaching program. Students coming to AIMS have strong backgrounds in the mathematical sciences (including pure and applied mathematics, physics, computer science, mathematical biology and other fields). Outstanding lecturers are recruited from all over the world to teach and prepare students for advanced postgraduate research. The course is unusually broad in scope and employs the latest pedagogical methods in order to stimulate critical and creative thinking.
Student participation in class and independent work are strongly encouraged. The unique residential character of the institutes allows for optimum interaction between students and lecturers in a congenial environment at all hours. AIMS facilities include an excellent library and a state of the art computer laboratory.
Tutoring at an AIMS centre is a wonderful opportunity to meet and work closely with highly-respected scientists from around the world as well as brilliant and highly motivated students from across Africa. Appointments will normally be made for a minimum duration of one full academic year, which runs from mid-August until the end of June.
- Providing general assistance to the director and the lecturers within the academic program, for example in assisting with problem-solving classes and computer labs, in providing group and personal tutorials where needed, in contributing to the assessment of student performance on a continuous basis, in preparing additional materials, examples and extra classes as needed.
- Applicants should have at least a Master’s in one of the mathematical sciences; superior teaching ability/skills; excellent interpersonal skills; innovative flair; excellent command of English and/or French;
- Ability to work as a dedicated member of a team where responsibility is shared.
- Computer skills: Linux, SAGE or SciPy.
- Knowledge of an additional language, in particular Arabic, would be an advantage.
Applications close when all positions are filled. Applicants should include a motivation letter (indicating which centre(s) they prefer), a CV and a list of two contactable references.
For more information, visit AIMS.