Tar River Land Conservancy (TRLC) Stewardship Internship 2020 (Paid position)
Deadline: January 31, 2020
Applications are open for the Tar River Land Conservancy (TRLC) Stewardship Internship 2020. This internship will provide extensive exposure to and hands on experience with a regionally-based land trust.
TRLC preserves the natural and cultural resources of the Upper Tar River Basin and surrounding areas by working in partnership with private landowners, public agencies and others to protect rural land, riparian corridors and ensure clean water. Since the TRLC was founded in 2000, they have protected over 21,300 acres of land through outright property acquisitions and through permanent conservation easements.
Interns will carry out the following tasks:
- Conduct onsite inspections of properties, including those with conservation easements and TRLC fee-owned properties.
- Assist staff with all preparatory and follow up tasks related to easement and property inspections, including maintenance of files and photographic records, updating protected lands database, updating stewardship database and preparing property inspection reports.
- Assist in the management and organization of TRLC land protection and stewardship files in accordance with its Records Policy.
- Assist with land management tasks such as trail building, trail maintenance, and property boundary marking.
- Organize and work with volunteers to complete stewardship and land management tasks.
- Conduct basic GIS analysis and prepare maps, spreadsheets, and draft reports.
- Collect field data on properties targeted for protection to evaluate natural, recreational and cultural resources.
- Assist with other appropriate projects as assigned.
- Travel extensively throughout the 8-county watershed (Person, Granville, Franklin, Vance, Warren, Halifax, Nash and Edgecombe Counties) to perform these duties.
- The Stewardship Intern will be compensated at a rate of $13.00/hour. The intern is responsible for finding local housing during the internship.
- Applicants should show commitment to the mission of the TRLC to conserve private working landscapes and significant natural and cultural resources using conservation easements and other tools.
- Completion of or progress towards a degree in natural resources management, forestry, agriculture, wildlife management or related discipline.
- Excellent writing, organizational and record keeping skills.
- Proficiency using ESRI ArcGIS and MS Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Ability to work outdoors in the summer heat and humidity and in rugged conditions using compass, maps, GPS equipment and carrying field equipment.
- Ability to function productively as both a member of a work team and independently.
- Ability to work independently in the field.
- Ability to work effectively to meet deadlines.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record.
Start and end dates of internship are negotiable. The applicant should identify his/her proposed start and end dates in a cover letter.
Send a cover letter, resume, transcripts, and list of three references either by mail or email no later than Friday, January 31, 2020 to:
Tar River Land Conservancy
Attn: Amy R. Edge
P.O. Box 1161
Louisburg, NC 27549
For more information, visit TRLC Stewardship Internship.