Amgen Scholars Canada Program 2020/2021 at the University of Toronto ($5,000 CAD stipend + more)
Deadline: February 3, 2020
Are you a motivated and ambitious student passionate about biomedical research? Are you enthusiastic about conducting research full time at the University of Toronto for 10 weeks during the summer, while living in their supportive community at the University of Toronto? Apply for the Amgen Scholars Canada Program 2020/2021.
The Amgen Scholars Canada Program is an immersive, 10-week program of research experience, professional development and social activities.
Program features include:
- Research experience
- Conducting research in the laboratory of a leading U of T faculty mentor
- The Distinguished Scientist Seminar series
- Laboratory journal clubs
- Program capstone research day oral or poster presentation
- Participation in the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California
- Professional development – workshops and seminars on:
- Science communication, oral and written
- The life as a scientist
- Science career exploration
- Graduate school preparation with graduate coordinators
- Social activities
- A welcome event
- Day trip to Niagara Falls
- A variety of quintessential Toronto activities, such as a Toronto Blue Jays baseball game, an escape room at Casa Loma, an evening visit to the Art Gallery of Ontario, the CN Tower and Skywalk, Canada Day celebrations and a visit to the Toronto Islands
- Scholar-led activities
All participants in the program receive the following benefits:
- Opportunity to work with world-renowned researchers
- Hands-on laboratory research experience
- $5,000 CAD stipend
- Accommodation at New College on the historic University of Toronto St. George campus
- Paid travel expenses to and from Toronto for the program
- All expenses paid participation in the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California in July
- Additional benefits include participation in career development events, social activities and sightseeing in Toronto and Ontario and access to the University of Toronto libraries, lectures and more!
Current undergraduate students who are academically excellent, passionate about biomedical science and interested in pursuing a career in science are encouraged to apply.
To apply you must meet the following requirements:
- Current enrollment at an accredited university in Canada as a second, third or non-graduating fourth year undergraduate student
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- An interest in pursuing an M.Sc., Ph.D. or an M.D./Ph.D.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale)
As an Amgen Scholar you are expected to fulfill the following expectations:
- Full-time participation in the 10 continuous weeks of the research experience (June 1 – August 7, 2020)
- Join in laboratory events such as lab meetings and department lectures
- Attend social and professional development events as required by the program
- Participate in the Amgen Scholars launch party and capstone symposium
- Attend the National Amgen Scholars Program Symposium in California in July
- Live in the campus accommodations at New College on campus in vibrant downtown Toronto
- Complete Amgen Scholars Program evaluations
For more information, visit Amgen Scholars Canada Program.