Civic Laboratory for Environmental Action Research (CLEAR) Artist-in-Residence Program 2020 (Stipend available)
Deadline: January 24, 2020
Applications are invited for the Civic Laboratory for Environmental Action Research (CLEAR) Artist-in-Residence Program 2020. CLEAR is a marine science laboratory that specializes in marine plastic pollution and they are also invested in creating methods and protocols based in equity, humility, a sense of place, and anticolonial justice.
They are looking for artists–poets, storytellers, writers, photographers, and/or visual artists–to join them in this pursuit. Artists-in-residence would undergo laboratory training and participate in some of their scientific work, including weekly lab meetings. Artists will work with other lab members to think about what kind of work should be done, how it can be done ethically and collaboratively, and how it should be shared and circulated. Such questions are central to all work produced at CLEAR.
CLEAR is open to the type of art or creative production, but they expect all work to be created in the laboratory. They do not have the capacity (or desire!) for toxic methods like oil painting, nor do they have space that can be designated for a single person’s activities in the lab whether they are a scientist or an artist. As such, CLEAR is best suited to poetry, storytelling, photography, and visual methods that are small and dry/ish.
- Artists-in-residence will be offered a stipend of $2,400 CAD, plus travel to St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador (capped at $1200CAD).
- Open to artists – poets, storytellers, writers, photographers, and/or visual artists – from around the world. Local artists are welcome to apply.
- They expect around 120 contact hours or four weeks of continuous residence at least.
To apply, send the following to Max Liboiron at [email protected]
- An email with your full name, type of creative production, the ~4 week period desired, and contact information
- A 1-page statement about your approach to working and the synergies you see between your work and CLEAR’s goals. Please see this short documentary film (13 min) to aid in this, since fit is the greatest determinant of success
- A portfolio of 5 works maximum
For more information, visit CLEAR Lab Artist-in-Residence.