Michigan State University Global Voices Essay Contest 2020 for Latin America
Deadline: February 21, 2020
Applications for the Michigan State University Global Voices Essay Contest 2020 for Latin America are now open. The Global Voices offers a platform for young people around the world to advocate for their communities, share their opinions, and introduce solutions to local and national challenges.
The voices of young people have always been and always will be critical to the evolution of a just society. To provide a platform for their voices, the Global Youth Advancement Network (GYAN) hosts an annual regional essay competition for 15 – 24 year olds.
2020 Essay Theme
Choosing from several themes, the participants submit a 600-900 word essay about how they are addressing a challenge their communities face. The theme for 2020 is Confronting Inequity and there are six sub-themes to choose from:
- Challenging Racism
- Conserving the Environment
- Educating for Change
- Empowering Indigenous Communities
- Promoting Gender Equality
- Stamping Out Violence
- First Place Winner: Laptop computer and a scholarship to attend the 2021 Global Youth Advancement Summit in East Lansing, Michigan, USA
- Second Place: Choice of tablet or camera
- Third Place: Choice of tablet or camera
- Open to all citizens of South and Central America and Caribbean nations.
- Applicants should be between the ages of 15 – 24.
Write your essay, being sure to include these key points:
- Describe the inequity that you see in your region, country, or community.
- Tell what YOU are currently doing to confront this inequity. How do you think this intervention will help? (This could be a community project, starting a business or social venture, studying/conducting research, etc.)
- What resources (information, opportunities, partnerships, etc.) do you need to scale your intervention?
To submit your essay,
- On the top left corner of your essay, include: Full name, Age, Country, Sub-theme, Email address
- Save essay as a Microsoft Word document
- Email essay as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Global Voices LA – (full name)
For more information, visit Global Voices Essay Contest.