Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature 2020 ($5,000 Cash prize)
Deadline: March 1, 2020
Applications are open for the Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature 2020. Since 1996 the American University in Cairo Press has presented the annual Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature, a major award in support of contemporary Arabic literature in translation.
In keeping with the forward-looking aims of the 2019–20 celebrations of the American University in Cairo, and anticipating the sixtieth anniversary of the American University in Cairo Press in 2020–21, AUC Press is working to develop the Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature further, in order to enhance the prize’s prestigious international reputation in promoting Arabic fiction in translation around the world.
The award is presented annually on December 11, the birthday of Nobel laureate Naguib Mahfouz, by the President of the American University in Cairo in the presence of the Minister of Culture and many other prominent leaders of Egypt’s cultural life.
- The Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature consists of a silver medal, a cash prize worth 5,000 US Dollars, and publication worldwide in English translation by the AUC Press.
- Open to contemporary novels, written and published in Arabic. Novellas, short stories collections, or poetry collections are not eligible.
- Only novels published in the last two years, between March 1, 2018 and March 1, 2020, are eligible.
- Self-published novels are not eligible.
- Submissions may be made by the author or the publisher.
- A publisher must have been publishing books for a minimum of three years to be eligible to submit a novel for the award.
- The author must be living at the time of submission.
- By submitting a novel, the author or publisher (depending on who holds the English language rights) are considered to have agreed that, in the event of their novel winning, it will be translated into English and published worldwide by the AUC Press.
- By submitting a novel, the author is considered to have agreed to be available for promotional activities such as media appearances related to the award and/or necessary travel within the Arab world.
- The AUC Press reserves the right to reject any submission that doesn’t comply with the rules of entry.
- The judging panel’s decision is final.
- The judges have the right to consider any novel published in the above time frame that has not been submitted for the award. In this event, the publisher will be notified and copies of the book and application form requested.
Six copies of the published book must be sent to the address below, to arrive no later than March 1, 2020:
The Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature
ATTN: Ms. Katherine McMahon
The American University in Cairo Press
AUC Tahrir Campus
113 Kasr El Aini Street
P.O. Box 2511, Cairo 11511
The application form and a recent photograph of the author must also be submitted. These can be sent as hard copy with the physical copies of the books, or by email to: email@example.com. Digital copies of books will not accepted.
For more information, visit Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature.