TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme 2020 for Researchers in Africa (Funded to Germany)
Deadline: May 18, 2020
Applications for the TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme 2020 are now open. The TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme provides postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, with the opportunity to make a three-month ‘Cooperation Visit’ to a research institute in Germany. Such visits must be undertaken within 12 months of the award.
The aim of the visit is to initiate research collaboration between African and German scientists with the ultimate goal of developing longer-term links, perhaps through other Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation) programmes.
- DFG will cover health insurance, travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany. The administration and financial operation of TWAS is undertaken by UNESCO in accordance with an agreement signed by the two organizations.
- Applicants must hold a PhD and must have obtained it not earlier than 2015;
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants already on site in Germany or with an established collaboration with the intended host are not eligible.
- Previous recipients of a TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visit cannot reapply. For a second visit, the German host can apply for funding under the DFG Initiation of International Collaboration Programme.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- All academic fields will be considered.
While filling in the online application, applicants also need to upload the following documentation:
- Scanned copy of your passport, even if expired (page with your name and surname);
- CV, maximum two pages including a list of no more than 6 publications;
- A recent invitation letter from a German host – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – which should contain the proposed time of the visit (up to 3 months) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available.
- Two reference letters from senior scientists familiar with your work. The letters need to be on headed paper and signed;
- Copy of the PhD certificate;
- Evidence of proficiency in either English or German;
- Supporting statement from the Head/Director of the applicant’s home institute: it must confirm that the Head/Director is favourable to the application and that the applicant will be granted leave to take up the cooperation visit in Germany if awarded.
For more information, visit TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme.