Afghan Youth Representative to the United Nations 2020 (Fully-funded to Germany and New York)
Deadline: April 11, 2020
The call for applications to become Afghan Youth Representative to the United Nations 2020 is now open. Active youth between the ages of 18-29 from across the country can apply.
Afghan Youth Representative to the UN is a year-long program launched by APT in 2018. The program, in light of the resolution 2250 of the United Nations, will provide leadership opportunities to one youth representative every year by enabling him/her to act as an ambassador of peace who can influence policies on the national and global levels.
The youth delegate will meet with other young people across the country, hear their voices, and convey their message to the international community. The person will also bring back to the country the knowledge and message of the international community and open up opportunities that will pave the way for the future development of Afghanistan’s youth. The UNAMA in Afghanistan and the Ministry of Foreign affairs have supported this program since 2018.
The program has a two-pronged objective: to call for global attention to youth, peace, and security in Afghanistan in light of the UN Security Council Resolution 2250 (2015), and to provide leadership opportunity for 1 individual that can make him/her a role model leader among Afghan youth.
The Afghan Youth Representative to the United Nations program will provide a unique opportunity to the applicant to travel to Germany and New York, connect with decision-makers, and high official people, as well as engage in debate and present the voice of Afghans in the Security Council of the United Nations. The first ever and the second Afghan Youth Representatives were elected through a rigorous competition process among hundreds youth applicants who competed through the process.
This program will cover airfare travel to Germany and New York, accommodation, meals, and transportation during the event. Program will not cover any cost (travel, transportation and accommodation) if the applicant is selected for the final round to travel to Kabul.
- Afghan citizens who reside in Afghanistan;
- People below 29 and above 18 years old;
- Young people with a minimum of 1 year and maximum of 3 years of volunteer experience;
- Ability and willingness to travel outside the country for 20 days in September/October 2020;
- Excellent command of English language and at least one of the national languages is necessary;
- Individuals who are able to team-work, passionate to gather insight from all youth and incorporate other people’s ideas in his/her speeches and statements, and able to communicate cross-culturally and professionally;
- Individuals who have skills to run activities through social media platforms and fulfil duties and responsibilities that will be assigned via a Terms of Reference;
- Priority will be given to those individuals who have had fewer international exposure in the past, and individuals who live in more remote places in Afghanistan.
The call for application is open from March 11th to April 11th, 2020 Afghanistan time. Online applications will be screened and reviewed by a panel of expert people. The selection of the winner will have two phases:
(a) First phase: based on the online application, six top candidates will be shortlisted and notified of their results in mid-June. The shortlisted candidate will be requested to send a one paper “plan of how he/she will contribute to increased political participation of youth in Afghanistan” and appear for interview.
(b) Final Phase: based on the result of written paper and interview three shortlisted candidates will be requested to appear for the second and final phase of the selection, competing in the public speaking skill events.
Only shortlisted applicants will be informed of their decisions by mid-June through APT’s official email.
Incomplete and late applications will not be examined by the selection committee