Call for Applications: United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) Land Heroes 2020
Deadline: May 15, 2020
Apply now to become one of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) Land Heroes 2020. UNCCD invites you to mobilize the youth to take care of land as part of the solution to climate change.
The campaign “Become #UNCCDLandHeroes” appeals to the youth (15-30 years old) worldwide. It is a social media campaign “by the youth for the youth” that will trend under #UNCCDLandHeroes and #FoodFeedFibre.
The incredible power and deep concern of young people for the climate emergency is evident. UNCCD has witnessed youth in action during protests and strikes (Fridays for Climate movement is going strong and growing, after nearly 100 weeks) and similar movements are born all around the world, following the same purpose: to ensure a sustainable future for all.
You are already making a difference. Let’s take it further !
- A USD $500 cash prize will be awarded to one of participating UNCCD Land Heroes for an outstanding project with significant outreach capacity, to invest in the impactful and scalable action to be implemented by the end of 2021.
- The winner will be selected by the UNCCD secretariat, and the project widely promoted on social media and shared with UNCCD Land Ambassadors for them to support through their channels. The winning project will also be showcased at UNCCD major events, such as Desertification and Drought Day global observance event.
- Participants have to be between 15 and 30 years old on the day of their participation. A proof of age could be asked to the finalists in May
- Only entries with #UNCCDLandHeroes AND #FoodFeedFibre will be considered
- Current and former staff, consultants, and interns of the United Nations, as well as first degree relatives of the aforementioned individuals, can participate but are not eligible to receive the monetary prize
- The participants grant the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), its partners and other UN agencies as well as other persons or entities authorized by the UNCCD, the right to publish the photos, videos and texts, and to promote the projects and initiatives shared through this context, mentioning the name of the participant
- The UNCCD reserves the right to modify the videos and photos in order to include the corporative elements of the UNCCD, such as, but not limited to, the UNCCD Logo
- Competition submissions must not include any endorsements of products or services, or any obscene, violent, racist, religious intolerance or defamatory content. Entries that do not comply with the formal specifications will be automatically disqualified
- Submissions may also not be accepted into the contest if the image in the entry features an identifiable individual who has not given their consent to appear or if the image, advertising or trademarks which would otherwise require the UNCCD to obtain permission to use
Participants are invited to submit a short text with a photo or video where they propose a specific solution to limit the footprint that our production and consumption of food, feed and fibre leave on the land.
If you submit a video:
- Formats : 16:9 / 720p / 1080p / 1440p
If you submit a photo:
- Horizontal or vertical
- Ideally 300 dpi
Your video and text accompanying your post should be in one of the six official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish). If your post is in another language, please provide the translation in one of the languages listed above. You can provide the translation by sending an email to [email protected]
To participate, share your story on social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram), tagging UNCCD and using the official hashtags of the contest #UNCCDLandHeroes and #FoodFeedFibre.
For more information, visit UNCCDLandHeroes.