Africa Center of Excellence for Water Management (ACEWM) MSc and PhD Programs 2020/2021 (Funding available)
Deadline: June 15, 2020
Applications are open for the Africa Center of Excellence for Water Management (ACEWM) MSc and PhD Programs 2020/2021. Since 2016, ACEWM has been offering an interdisciplinary MSc and PhD programs in the field of water management, with the primary purpose of training the next generation of water educators, researchers, managers, and professionals and engaging in community outreach activities.
Currently, ACEWM has several PhD and MSc students from all over Africa and some other countries.
ACEWM has established partnerships with different universities nationally, regionally and internationally to collaborate in capacity building, faculty and student exchanges, research and internships. ACEWM engages high caliber and renowned professionals in the field of water management from different disciplines.
For the academic year of 2020/21, ACEWM calls for outstanding scholars to apply for its PhD and MSc programs in the following tracks.
- Water Science and Technology
- Aquatic Ecosystems Management
- Hydrology & Water Resources Management
- Water Quality Management
- Water Supply and Sanitation
- Aquatic Ecosystems Management
- Water and Wastewater Technology
- Hydrology and Water Resources
- ACEWM will have a modest funding to support research projects of all applicants.
- In addition to research support, ACEWM will provide full scholarship for very limited number (3 PhD and 5 MSc) of highly competent applicants from African Countries other than Ethiopia. A monthly stipend of 600 USD (Equivalent amount paid in ETB) for MSc and 800 USD (Equivalent amount paid in ETB) for PhD applicants. The stipend includes accommodation.
- ACEWM will cover tuition fees of limited number of Female applicants from Ethiopia on competitive basis.
- Other applicants are required to be sponsored by their respective institutions or by themselves.
- Open to applicants from Ethiopia and other African countries
- Ph.D. applicants must have a Master’s Degree earned from a college or university of recognized standing with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale or equivalent in ECTS. However, applicants with grade point averages between 3.0 and 3.5 will be given consideration based on their experience and achievement.
- Applicants to the Ph.D. program should provide evidence of capacity for research. This includes a master’s thesis published paper in reputable journal or other appropriate evidence of capacity to conduct high quality research.
- All applicants’ undergraduate Cumulative GPA must not be less than 2.75 for males and not less than 2.50 for females on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants who have completed their degree/diploma from foreign universities (other than Ethiopia) are required to obtain their degree/diploma equivalent from the Ethiopian Higher Education Relevance and Quality Agency (HERQA) before admission. (Academic documents authentication by relevant office is mandatory during admission).
- Applicants must have sufficient knowledge of English language and provide proof of proficiency.
- The age limit at the time of application for MSc applicants is 30 years or less and for PhD 40 years or less.
- Applicants need to meet also the general requirements laid down by the School of Graduate Studies, Addis Ababa University.
Application materials include:
- A cover page containing applicant’s full name as it appears on applicant’s ID/Passport, full contact details including residential and postal address, email and telephone number(s)
- A copy of ID/Passport
- Detailed curriculum vitae not exceeding 4 pages
- Authenticated copies of previous degrees and official transcripts from previous university/college
- Applicants wishing to pursue a PhD program should submit a concept note not exceeding 5 pages
- Applicants for PhD programs should identify at least one PhD supervisor and include CV of her/his potential supervisor and consent to supervise the applicants research work during the study period
- Applicants for PhD programs should be willing to undertake their full-time research in Ethiopia A personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate’s interest to join the program not exceeding 500 words
- Applicants sponsored by their institutions are required to submit a sponsorship letter from their institution. (The form can be downloaded here)
- Employed applicants must provide a letter of full commitment from their employers that they will be granted study leave
- Three letters of recommendation from instructors/supervisors from previous educational institution, organizations
- Certificate of professional experience if there is any
- Cost-Sharing clearance documents for Ethiopian applicants.
An electronic copy of the application documents in English and in a single PDF document shall be submitted to both of the following contacts:
- Mr. Netsanet Assefa, Student Affairs Officer, ACEWM, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Ahmed Mustefa, Academic Program Officer, Email: email@example.com
- Dr. Beteley Tekola, Deputy Head, ACEWM, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted through their emails.
For more information, visit ACEWM.