Deadline: June 5, 2020
The WIN WIN Sustainability Youth Award 2020 is open for nominations. The WIN WIN Youth Award is an international award that aims to empower and reward young people who play an active role in the creation of a more sustainable future.
The WIN WIN Youth Award is a part of the WIN WIN-organisation. Since 2000 it has presented one of the world’s leading sustainability awards, the WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Award. Previous winners of the WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Award include Gro Harlem Brundtland, Al Gore and Kofi Annan.
Applicants to the WIN WIN Youth Award should present a recent or ongoing project/work/initiative linked to the unique theme of the WIN WIN Award 2020 –Biodiversity.
Theme 2020 – Biodiversity
One million of planet Earth’s eight million different species are threatened with extinction. This fact also jeopardizes humanity’s own survival as a species.
Despite scientists’ insight that the biodiversity of the Earth is crucial for our existence, the issue tends to fall between decision-makers’ areas of responsibility and does not receive the same attention as, for example, climate change.
The issue of biodiversity is complex and has a bearing on a very wide range of conditions for life on Earth – everything from clean water, raw materials and food production to genetic variation, inspiration for technical solutions and cures for diseases. The multifaceted and intractable nature of the significance of biodiversity must not contribute to an inability to act. We need solutions and initiatives in many areas to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals number 14 and 15, which address ecosystems in the oceans and on land.
The winner will be announced on the International Youth Day on August 12, and will be invited to receive the award at the WIN WIN Award ceremony October 22 in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- The award activities require approximately 4 days in Gothenburg (October 19-23)
- The winner is expected to attend:
- The award ceremony
- Rehearsals for the award ceremony
- WIN WIN Award will cover travel expenses to Gothenburg (economy class) for the winner and one more person.
- WIN WIN Award will cover hotel expenses in Gothenburg for winner and one more person.
- They welcome contributions from individuals, organisations and movements from all over the world, with members between the age 13 to 29.
- Applicants to the WIN WIN Youth Award should present a recent or ongoing project/work/initiative linked to the theme 2020 – Biodiversity
To be eligible for the WIN WIN Youth Award 2020, applicants/nominees must be between the ages of 13 and 29 and are required to satisfy minimum four of the following criteria:
- Impact: The project/initiative has had a positive effect on biodiversity.
- Holistic approach: The project/initiative should strive to balance environmental, social and economic outcome.
- Creativity: The project/initiative has been conducted in a creative and original way.
- Mobilization: The project/initiative has brought people together. Innovation: The project/initiative is new and innovative in its character.
- Scale: The project/initiative has the potential for replication and scaling up.
- Raise awareness: The project/initiative has contributed to raise awareness and disseminate knowledge about biodiversity.
You can apply with a project of your own or nominate a candidate. The application / nomination must include the following information:
- Name, age, e-mail and country.
- Description of the project / work / initiative answering the following questions: What kind of project? Where? For how long? For whom? What kind of impact? How does it relate to the theme biodiversity?
- Motivation why the project / work / initiative should receive the award.
For more information, visit WIN WIN.