ICFJ/Facebook Journalism Project Latin America News Relief Fund Grant Program 2020 (up to $40,000 USD)
Deadline: May 26, 2020
Applications for the ICFJ/Facebook Journalism Project Latin America News Relief Fund Grant Program 2020 are open. In partnership with the Facebook Journalism Project, the International Center for Journalists will administer a relief fund program for Latin American media organizations that serve communities affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The fund will address publishers’ immediate and critical business needs, as well as assist in their work to engage and connect their local communities online while publishing trusted information about COVID-19.
About the Program
The new program will offer grants, mentoring, and training to help news organizations accelerate their digital transformations. Grants can be used for initiatives such as helping launch newsletters, lift paywalls, hire freelance journalists, strengthen data reporting, create online events, fund IT needs, launch software services and infrastructure, support digital distribution methods and buy personal protection equipment to keep journalists safe, as well as ensure basic continuation of work.
Those selected participants from the Covid-19 Relief Fund that have achieved the higher value grants and whose plan is directly tied to business transformation or the acceleration of an existing digital business, will also be able to participate in an accelerator program. This 10-week initiative will include mentoring and online meetings to help their business better navigate the crisis.
- The grants plan to offer financial assistance in the form of a one-time payment ranging from $10,000 to $40,000 USD to selected applicants.
- Grants may be requested by for-profit or nonprofit local news organizations in Latin America.
- Project proposals do not require the use of Facebook’s tools or platforms.
- Applicants agree that if they are awarded a grant, ICFJ and Facebook can use the information provided in the initial application and subsequent reporting form to share lessons with other local news organizations.
- Priority is given to independent newsrooms that meet the cited criteria.
- Grant recipients agree to participate in a survey to capture results and feedback.
Grant preference will be given to publishers who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Those serving diverse or traditionally underserved communities;
- Those serving a defined geographic area;
- Those that have not yet received grant support from the Facebook Journalism Project in 2020;
- Those that have an established digital reader, digital listener or digital video consumer supported business model;
- Those representing areas where COVID-19 impact is particularly acute; and
- Those that clearly and candidly explain the grant’s contribution to their organization’s long-term viability.
Selections will be made keeping the following criteria in mind:
- Clear and compelling description of how grant funds will be used.
- Organizational need and clarity of budget proposal.
- The organization’s prior news reporting and other content related to COVID-19.
- Whether the organization meets one or more of the preference criteria.
Applications will be accepted from May 5, 2020 until May 26, 2020. Applicants must comply with all on-screen instructions to be eligible.
For more information, visit ICFJ Grant.