British Institute East Africa (BIEA) Graduate Attachment Scheme 2020/2021 (up to $1,000 GBP)
Deadline: June 30, 2020
Applications are open for the British Institute East Africa (BIEA) Graduate Attachment Scheme 2020/2021. BIEA graduate attachments offer recent graduates, with an interest in further studies in Africa, the opportunity to gain research experience and develop their networks.
The July 2020 to June 2021 BIEA graduate attachment scheme will take up to nine successful applicants. Due to COVID-19 and associated social distancing and travel restrictions, the scheme will consist of online research and activities until further notice. This will include one-to-one and group meetings via Zoom.
Successful applicants will be involved in three types of work while with the BIEA:
- Gain practical experience of conducting research by working with a named researcher on one, or a number of, innovative historical, archaeological and anthropological projects on eastern Africa;
- Undertake their own research with the assistance of a named mentor usually leading into developing a plan for a Masters or PhD. The attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Webinar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA.
- Assisting with the administration of the BIEA including online reading groups focused on key texts in African studies, and online workshops and seminars.
- In addition, the BIEA will offer free weekly online Swahili lessons that graduate attachés can join.
- Graduate attachés will be given an allowance of 1,000 GBP for the three months of the attachment to help pay for food, research expenses and internet access.
- The attachés will have to provide receipts for their expenses amounting to their total allowance (small food purchases can be written down weekly in a receipt book/ledger).
- Applicants will need a strong academic record, some experience of studying/researching Africa, and a clear interest in developing your own research.
- You should also be able to show significant initiative and be equally adept at working alone or as part of a larger online team.
- You should be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various research projects and data analysis.
- Graduate attachés can start between July 15, 2020 and January 1, 2021.
To apply, applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] explaining how participation in the scheme will assist the development of your career. You will need to arrange for two academic references to be sent directly to the BIEA via [email protected]
For more information, visit BIEA Graduate Attachment Scheme.