King’s College London Clinical Research Fellowship 2021 (Paid)
Deadline: August 13, 2020
Applications for the King’s College London Clinical Research Fellowship 2021 are now open. This is a Clinical Research Fellow position to be appointed from April 1, 2021 on a 3-year project which is a cross-sectional and longitudinal study of the physiology of healthy human ageing.
An in-depth physiological phenotyping of both sedentary and highly active younger and older individuals will be performed. The post is located within the Centre for Human and Applied Physiological Sciences, within the Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine at King’s College London.
- Fellows will undertake research of high quality consistent with making an active research contribution in line with the aims of the project
- To perform physiology testing procedures (including cardiopulmonary exercise testing), including participant assessment/enrolment, informed consent, clinical examination, where appropriate, and research record keeping.
- To perform biopsy sampling procedures (muscle, fat skin).
- To take responsibility for specific study-related medical decisions within their expertise, and, where appropriate, in consultation with the Study Investigators.
- To be responsible for participant recruitment and screening with the assistance of other team members.
- To be familiar with the specialised equipment and techniques associated with the project.
- To comply with the College’s Health and Safety regulations and policies and good laboratory practice.
- Carry out the research project with appropriate supervision to an agreed timeline.
- Work towards obtaining a PhD based on the research project being conducted.
- Attend and, as appropriate, present research findings at internal meetings and external conferences.
- Contribute to publications arising from the research project.
- Meet the formal requirements for postgraduate training for the School of Basic and Medical Biosciences.
- The salary will be paid at Clinical Research Fellow Grade Point, £44,112 – 48,082 per annum, inclusive of £2,162 per annum London Allowance.
- Applicant should have a UK recognised medical degree;
- Full GMC Registration;
- Intercalated degree (e.g. BSc)/other qualifications;
- Presentation of research findings at international meetings;
- ALS (or equivalent) certified.
Knowledge and Skills
- Word processing skills
- Basic statistical knowledge
- Ability to manage acute cardiorespiratory emergencies
- Knowledge of cardiorespiratory & exercise physiology
- Ability to provide clinical oversight for cardiopulmonary exercise testing and tissue biopsies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently under own supervision
- Flexible and adaptable
This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract from April 1, 2021 until March 31, 2024.