African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) Main Grants 2020 for Women Changemakers
Deadline: August 10, 2020
Is your organisation an African feminist or women’s rights organisation with cutting edge ideas for advancing women’s rights and creating systemic change? Is your organisation led and largely staffed by women, and registered on the African continent? Apply now for the African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) Main Grants 2020.
The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) is a grantmaking foundation that supports local, national and regional women’s organisations working towards the empowerment of African women and the promotion and realisation of their rights. By specialising in grantmaking and focused, tailored movement-building programmes, they work to strengthen and support the work of African women’s organisations.
- Economic Security & Justice
- Body & Health Rights
- Leadership, Participation & Peace
- Post COVID-19 Response & Advocacy
- Grant sizes vary per call. Organisations applying for grants of US $20,000 and above will be required to provide audit report conducted by a reputable audit firm.
- Open to Women-led organisations, with a majority women staff and board;
- Organisation should have stated commitment to supporting women and/or advancing women’s rights/ gender equality in their mission/vision;
- Organisations registered in any African country, and working at the local, national, subregional or regional African levels. (Note that AWDF is not able to transfer funds to organisations based in Sudan, South Sudan or Somalia. However, they are able to support organisations based in other African countries that are implementing initiatives in these countries);
- Applying organisations should preferably have been in existence for at least three years;
- Organisations have to produce evidence (relevant certificates) to show their legal existence;
- Organisations should show how the funding proposal fits into the organisation’s overall strategy for the area of work or community in which it is located;
- Organisations have to demonstrate how their work fits into either a local, national or regional strategy for the empowerment of African women;
- Applying organisations should have basic organisational systems and structures in place. For example a constitution, Strategic plan and financial reports;
- The organisation should have a clear evaluation plan for the project – including what you aim to achieve and to change, and measures to track progress;
- Plans for sustainability including raising additional or further funding to keep the initiative going;
- Organisation should be able to demonstrate that they can manage funds and account for them in a transparent manner.
Download the following documents:
- Application Guidelines
- Budget Template Main Grants 2020
- Financial Management Assessment Form 2020
- Main Grants Application Form
Interested organisations should send in their proposals to the AWDF secretariat in Accra, Ghana, using the grant application form. Applications can be sent in English, French, or Portuguese, by email, or post. Please note that they accept applications by email at [email protected]; [email protected]
For more information, visit AWDF.