Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2021/2022 at the University of British Columbia (Fully-funded)
Deadline: December 11, 2020
Applications for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2021/2022 at the University of British Columbia are now open. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) provides opportunities for students from Sub-Saharan Africa to pursue graduate studies at UBC.
The University of British Columbia is pleased to partner with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
- The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program covers all expenses associated with UBC tuition, housing and food.
- Scholars also receive a stipend each month to support their lives in Vancouver.
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- must not already have a graduate or PhD degree;
- be 35 years old or younger (i.e. born in 1985 or after);
- be a citizen or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Faculty of Science
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Applications are due on December 11, 2020. They ask that all applications be submitted electronically in a single document PDF, via email as this is faster and costs less. Late or incomplete packages cannot be accepted and UBC is not responsible for any packages not received by the deadline.
- Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility Form.
- Submit the Personal Statements
- Submit a CV/resume
- Provide two reference letters
Submit the Checklist, Eligibility Form, Personal Statements, CV, two reference letters on official letterhead, transcripts, and signed declaration. Upon completion of your Eligibility Package, please submit a copy of your package as one pdf. document via email to [email protected] Note that the declaration must be signed by hand, electronically, or typed, otherwise, the package will be considered incomplete.