Cornell University’s ICM Global South Translation Fellowships – Spring 2021 (up to $5,000)
Deadline: December 10, 2020
Applications are open for the Cornell University’s ICM Global South Translation Fellowships – Spring 2021. The ICM invites translators for a grant to complete translations of works from the Global South (Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, etc) into English. This is a non-resident, remote fellowship designed to allow the recipient to complete the work outside of Cornell University.
Cornell University’s Institute for Comparative Modernities (ICM) addresses the transnational scope of the modern in its multifarious articulations with capitalism and colonialism, and their legacies. With an emphasis on developments outside the historical West, it promotes the study of artistic, intellectual and social movements attending formations of the modern. Crucial to the ICM’s mission is inquiry into epistemologies and paradigms emerging from societies and spaces beyond the West.
- The awards will range from $1000 to $5000, depending on the scope of the project.
- Open to translators who have a work to translate from the Global South (Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, etc) into English.
- Selected works may be retranslations of old, classic texts, or previously untranslated works, collections of poetry, prose, or critical theory.
- The project may be a work-in-process, or a new project manageable within the scope of the award.
Applications will be reviewed by the ICM board. Decisions will be made based on the quality of the proposed project, the demonstrated capability of the applicant to complete the project, and the project’s fit with ICM’s priorities.
Applications must include:
- A two-page CV/résumé including institutional affiliation, educational qualifications, including highest degree received, and key publications/works produced.
- A two-page narrative explaining the translation to be undertaken during the fellowship period, a rationale for the importance of the work, a justification for a re-translation, if applicable, and proposed dates of completion. ICM assumes completion of the translations by the end of the 2021 calendar year. The project may be a work-in-progress, or a new project that fits within the timeframe of the grant.
- A four-five page (double-spaced) sample of the original text(s) and translation.
- An explanation of the work’s copyright status: if the work is not in the public domain, please include a copy of the copyright notice from the original text, and a letter from the copyright holder stating that English language rights to the work are available.
To submit applications, compile all application materials: statement, sample, copyright status (if applicable, and CV, in that order into a single PDF file. The deadline for this material is December 10, 2020.
Name the file with the applicant’s name in this format: LASTNAME-FIRSTNAME.pdf. Use the same name in the email subject heading LASTNAME-FIRSTNAME application and send PDF as an email attachment to the ICM Fellowship Committee at: [email protected]
For more information, visit ICM Fellowships.