DAAD/AERC CMAAE PhD Fellowship Program 2021/2022
Deadline: December 15, 2020
Applications are invited for the DAAD/AERC CMAAE PhD Fellowship Program 2021/2022. The CMAAE PhD fellowship program aims at building the staff capacity of network universities that may not have adequate capacity in research and teaching at the post graduate level.
The PhD should be in Agricultural Economics through coursework, research, and thesis in Sub-Saharan Africa among CMAAE accredited universities within East Africa (Egerton University and University of Nairobi in Kenya, Makerere University in Uganda, Sokoine University of Agriculture in Tanzania, and Haramaya University in Ethiopia).
DAAD in cooperation with the CMAAE Program of AERC, is offering up to 6 in-country, in-region PhD scholarships in Agricultural and Applied Economics. The objective of this cooperation is to support the national and regional postgraduate training programme offered by AERC.
PhD Fellowship Program for CMAAE Network Faculty Members:
- All applicants must be holders of a masters degree in agricultural and applied economics, or related discipline.
- Applicants must be staff or potential staff members of a participating CMAAE university who are earmarked for staff retention to build the teaching and research capacities of departments of agricultural economics.
- Applicants must be recommended by a participating network university. The recommendation letter must indicate the willingness of the university to absorb the candidate upon successful completion of his/her PhD.
PhD Program for CMAAE Graduates
- Must have attained at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or equivalent in their undergraduate degree in Agricultural Economics or related field from an accredited University.
- Must have a masters degree with coursework and thesis component in Agricultural Economics, Economics or related fields from a CMAAE network university.
- The coursework should have covered microeconomics, macroeconomics and quantitative methods.
- Possession of at least one relevant publication in a refereed journal will be an added advantage.
- Evidence of engagement in economic management, research and/training in the public sector will be an added advantage.
Fields of specialization covered in the CMAAE program include Agricultural and Rural Development, Agricultural Policy and Trade, Environment and Natural Resource Management, and Agribusiness Management.
Interested applicants must submit their applications for admission directly to the respective host universities (application procedure can be obtained from the respective university websites). Upon receipt of an admission letter, temporary admission letter or letter assuring admission from the specific university, the applicant should apply to AERC for scholarship by submitting the below listed documents via [email protected] not later than December 15, 2020.
Note that the application to AERC is done concurrently with the application to DAAD with the same deadline so that same data is captured by the two institutions.
Simultaneously, applicants must apply for the scholarship via the DAAD portal by logging into the DAAD portal, registering themselves and submitting a DAAD application by 15 December 2020.
Application documents include:
- DAAD requirements accessible here.
- Hand-signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template.
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal).
- Certified copies of all university degree certificate.
- Certified copies of all university transcripts.
- At least a temporary admission letter or an official letter assuring admission, including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy).
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages).
- For faculty members, a reference letter from the Head of Department as a proof of employment (original only).
- PhD proposals which must demonstrate relevance to agricultural development.
- Two (2) recommendation letters from academic referees who are at least Senior Lecturer in rank.
For more information, visit CMAAE PhD Fellowship.