Deadline: January 22, 2021
Applications are open for the GRID-Arendal Grants for Investigative Journalism on Environmental Crime 2021. The journalism grant program funds in-depth, investigative journalism that breaks new ground and reveals new information about environmental crime that takes place within or across developing countries.
They are looking for high-impact reporting, especially on issues that are neglected by mainstream media. They invite proposals for projects on a variety of media platforms, including print, online, audio, video, and multimedia projects. Proposals for data journalism, data visualization, and open source intelligence (OSINT) journalism are welcome.
- Four grant recipients will each receive 25,000 Norwegian kronor (approximately €2,300).
- Journalists from anywhere in the world are welcome to apply. They encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds.
- You must be a professional journalist, either a staff member at a media organization or a freelancer with a record of publishing work in respected outlets.
- You must have experience in investigative journalism.
Applications will be evaluated by a team of GRID-Arendal personnel. Among other factors, they will consider:
- potential to reach a wide audience.
- potential to make an impact and cause change.
- journalist’s experience in investigative reporting.
- whether a project would happen without their support.
Applications should include:
- Résumé or CV.
- 3–5 published work samples.
- Description of proposed reporting project, including plan for obtaining information and summary of preliminary research or reporting.
- Estimated budget for project, explaining what grant money would pay for.
- Estimated timeline for project.
- Publication plan, ideally including letter of commitment or letter of interest from a media outlet, and indication of whether you would publish the project in any languages other than English.
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
- Acknowledgement of any other donors or sources of funding for the project, if relevant.
- Statement about how you would operate safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Application materials must be written in English and budgets expressed in Norwegian kroner. All materials should be combined into a single PDF and emailed to Valentin Emelin via [email protected] and Siri Olsson via [email protected]. Applications that are incomplete or do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
For more information, visit GRID-Arendal Grants.