2nd ASEAN Youth Social Journalism Contest 2021
Deadline: February 14, 2021
Applications are invited for the 2nd ASEAN Youth Social Journalism Contest 2021. The 2nd ASEAN Youth Social Journalism Contest 2021 is inviting youth “Social Journalists” to submit an essay and campaign ideas describing a theme of “#ASEANYouth and COVID-19 ─ Response, Recovery, and Resilience”.
They are inviting the talented ASEAN’s youth to share and promote fact-based and compelling messages showcasing the importance of ASEAN youth at the forefront of efforts to combat the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Based on the essay submissions, they will competitively select up to 20 youth from 10 ASEAN Member States to participate in a virtual workshop to develop and implement a social awareness activity in their respective countries.
- Open to any existing or aspiring social journalist that holds an ASEAN Member States passport (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam) and resides in the country of citizenship. Note: professional journalists who are full-time employees of established media outlets are not eligible to participate).
- The interested ASEAN youths are required to form a team of two from the same nationalities.
- The applicants must be between 18 and 30 years of age on April 26, 2021.
- Selected finalists must be able to communicate fluently in both spoken and written English.
- Selected finalists must have active Facebook and Gmail accounts for ease of communication with the trainer and other participants.
A selected panel of judges will evaluate your essay submission. The selection criteria are outlined below:
- Clarity of ideas: The essay clearly demonstrates an understanding of the theme and why it is important to youth in ASEAN Community.
- Originality and creativity: The content is unique and written in a creative and compelling way with a thoughtful approach from the youth perspective.
- Potential reader impact: The essay conveys personal or aspirational thoughts that are inspiring to viewers.
- Write a TEAM’s essay (maximum 500 words) and its summary inclusive of the campaign ideas (maximum 300 words) on the selected theme described above, explaining the theme, why it is important for youth in ASEAN, how it is relevant in your own life. The summary must answer the following enquiries:
- What is the problem you are trying to solve with your campaign?
- What evidence do you have that there is a problem?
- What is your target audience?
- What qualifies you to be listened to by the target audience?
- How will your campaign contribute to solving the problem?
- What will be the expected tangible results of the campaign?
- In the application form, list any supporting references to existing publications or sources that support the information in the essay. Such references can be in any format, such as text, photos, infographics and audio/video.
For more information, visit AYSJ Contest.