Machel-Mandela Fellowship Program 2021 for Young African Graduates (Stipend available)
Deadline: January 15, 2021
The Brenthurst Foundation is accepting applications for the Machel-Mandela Fellowship Program 2021. The fellowship is named in honour of former South African President Nelson Mandela and his wife, Graça Machel.
The Machel-Mandela Fellowship program aims to be the most prestigious of its kind in Africa. It helps sharpen the Brenthurst Foundation’s focus on Africa’s burgeoning youth population and helps nurture Africa’s future leaders.
The Fellowship will be available full-time for a minimum of six months and the selected candidate will be expected to take up the appointment in April 2021. The Fellow may be from South Africa or farther afield. They will be based at the Brenthurst Foundation’s headquarters in Parktown, Johannesburg. Fellows will work directly with and assist the Foundation’s staff on a range of projects and activities, some of which will require foreign travel.
- An all-inclusive stipend per month and accommodation (subject to Foundation policy) will be provided.
- Other work–related expenses may also be covered subject to agreement with the Foundation.
- Applicants should be under 30 years of age.
- Have a Masters level degree.
- Excellent spoken and written English. African and other languages would be an asset.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Enthusiastic and reliable, a self-starter who requires minimal oversight and management.
- Able to balance deadlines and attention to detail.
- Fluency in all basic IT skills.
- Copy-editing and proof-reading skills an asset.
- A passion for Africa and a keen interest in new thinking and strategies to strengthen Africa’s economic performance.
- Broad knowledge of African politics and economics.
- Familiarity with the work of the Brenthurst Foundation.
You will need to send:
- An up-to-date CV with referees’ details.
- A covering letter – no more than 500 words, outlining your interest in the position and the skills you can bring to bear.
- A writing sample – this can be any piece of work, for example an essay or a published article, of any length.
- The earliest date you would be able to start.
- Details of where you saw the post advertised.
Address your application to Ms Leila Jack at [email protected] quoting ‘Machel-Mandela Fellow’ in the subject line.
For more information, visit Machel-Mandela Fellowship.